Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackles are done!!!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by az-k5, Jan 9, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I got my bushings drilled out with new sleeves. There is now a 9/16" bolt at every pivot on the suspension /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Rob: I have extra sleeve material and a 9/16 bit now so let me know how long you want your shackle and they will be made. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    PS Lets see if Mr. Bolts will be able to break the bigger ones too.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

How did you manage to fit a 9/16" bolt on the upper shackles mount? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Here are the specs on the new CEE shackles and bushing. I found some .75" od .085 wall HREW round tube. The inner diameter is .580" and a 9/16" bolt is .5625" in diameter. I took out the polly bushings chucked up a 13/16 bit in my press and drilled out the original holes (originally a 5/8" or .625") I used a 3/4" bit at first but the tolerances were a little tight due to the poly bushings give a little so I had to go to a 13/16". They were still tight so I put the sleeves in the freezer and after about 10 mins or so they slid in warmed up fit like a glove. I then drilled out my 3/8" shackles to a 9/16" bolted everything together and waa-la only one size of bolt for a spare. The bushing walls are a little thinner now but they are cheap to replace if need be. I would rather that be the weakest part.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

sweet, got any left over tubing?