Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackles? Hill or ORD?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Larry, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    Hello guys, its been a long time since I have posted in here but I have a question for you all. I am getting ready to install my 454-crate engine in my old beast here in the next few months and I figured while the engine was out of the way, it would be a good time to add an Offroad Design steering box brace kit and heavy-duty front shackles from them or Hill 4 wheel drive.

My question is which front shackle kit have you all had the best luck with? I am leaning towards ORD because they are greasable and only lift the front ½ inch, which should help level out my truck again once the big block is bolted in. The Hill kit is greasable as well and looks good too. The product review on this website for the Hill kit really makes it hard for me to make my decision on which one I want to get. If anybody has any insight of the good bad and ugly of these two kits please let me know.

Here are some pictures of my junk. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    <a href="http://groups.msn.com/LarrysGMTruckToyBox/1978k10.msnw" target="_blank">http://groups.msn.com/LarrysGMTruckToyBox/1978k10.msnw[/url]</a>

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ORD - if for no other reason you can get GREAT customer support from ORD here on the boards.

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just installed the Hill shackles along with TC 4" springs and all greasable bushings. The shackls are real beefy and I didn't have any trouble putting them in. My only concern is with the lower tube at the end of the shackle where it bolts up to the spring, looks like it will hit the frame when I get the frontend twisted. Will have to found out when I get everything else done so I can take it wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just my .02 worth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Larry

Has either of you guys noticed a difference in the steering since these longer shackles change the caster or did you throw in some degree shims under the front axle at the same time? The large caster change is one of the only things I am concerned with on the Hill kit as it is a full inch longer than stock whereas ORD is only ½ inch. I forgot to mention that I am running 4” Rancho springs up front.

Thanks

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The Hill one is too long. It will mess up your castor angle = death wobble.
    Get the ORD one. IF you want more lift, get a zero rate or some taller springs. Don't get it in the shackle.
    -- Mike

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have the hill shackles and they did make it so that my front shaft was too short but i took care of that. and i'm gonna add some shims to get the pinion pointing back up where it should be. it runs fine in 4wd now but the shims will just make it a little happier with the whole situation.

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Yes, the steering has changed a little but not alot. I'm running 4" TC springs in the front as well. I do need to put in a degree shim to get my caster back to stock. I just have to measure and find out how much I need to have in the degree. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I do need to put in a degree shim to get my caster back to stock. I just have to measure and find out how much I need to have in the degree.

[/ QUOTE ] same here.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A longer shackle will give you more caster which will help get rid of Death Wobble...but it will make you pinion angle worse.

It is all a compromise.
    The ORD shackles are the same length that GM used in the 89-91 Blazers. I would go with the ORD shackles.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Not completely true. More caster is not necessarily better, there is an optimum angle much more and you get a shimmy because of the tendency of returning to center, any movement of the wheels will be quickly thrown back to straight which causes a fast shimmy ( vibration).
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Larry

Thought I would give you guys an update on the ORD shackles and steering box brace. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif After I got the 350 out of the way I installed the ORD steering box brace as seen here. It would bet this could be a pretty tight job to install the brace when the engine is still in the truck.

I took 2Dogs, TX Mudder and Triaged advise and went with the ORD shackes as well. Man, I can’t believe how nice they work. They also help counter the lost height with the added weight by the new 454. So far I have noticed zero affects in handling with the added caster with the longer shackles.

If only the 454 swap would have went that well as my new crate engine had a defective cylinder head…..but that is another story. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Sounds good, I have been considering getting the ORD shackles or making a set myself. But after thinking about it I want a set of greasable bushings anyway and if I'm gonna get those I may as well get the shackles there too and save myself the hassle. Thanks for the feedback, never know when you can trust the feedback posted on a companies site. But I trust average joe that posts here like me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I am leaning towards ORD because they are greasable and only lift the front ½ inch, which should help level out my truck again once the big block is bolted in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a FYI, but they do not lift the front of your truck by 1/2". They are 1/2" longer than stock, and that would actually net you 1/4" of lift. Nothing noticeable really.