Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackles up front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 11, 2005.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I started taking measurements and trying to figure out excally how I want to SAS my 99 Silverado (not buying a kit) and GM 47's will fit pretty sweet making my own brackets. But my question is if i retain the stock geometry (the rear sits 3 1/2" lower) but go to a soild mount in the back and put the shackle in the front will the suspenion work as well? I know jeeps have a similar set up but ive never really played with anything but a Chevrolet. BTW its really having 2 K series trucks to take measurements off of espically my dads K5 with body lift :D

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Usually this type of set-up is no good. When you hit a bump the axle will be moving forward as it goes up, and for reasons beyond my knowledge, this is bad. The Jeeps and Fords that have this type of suspension from the factory also have kits that are used to make the shackle mount on the rear of the spring like our Chevys.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i definelty wuold not run the shackle in back. have you ever driven a jeep? you get a wondering feeling at speed, and im sure its even worse with a fullsize. but like its been said, theres a reason the aftermarket makes kits to convert the shackle to behind the axle for ford and jeep.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well that sucks it would be so easy to do it this way... but I would rather have it RIGHT than easy www.setstr8.com (fabritech) is where I got the idea for a front shackle

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For off road use only, this might be just the setup. One advantage is that as the spring compresses, it actually pushes the tire forward or into whatever obstacle is in its way. This should help assuming that you are moving forward over something. Having not seen it applied in any modern rockcrawlers, I imagine that there are many reasons to locate the shackle in the rear.

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

from what ive seen the reason most dont use it is because if you come up to a rock it will push the shackle back and cause it to bend leaf springs. http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/ohv/album206/pic_056
    the link kinda shows what i mean

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that is actually a HUGE disadvantage. Pushing into the obstacle leads to NOTHING but broken leaf springs.