Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackles...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KleanK5, Mar 9, 2000.

1. KleanK5

KleanK5 Registered Member

I thought I read in an earlier post about a shackle reverse kit that improved ride comfort, but could'nt find it. Who makes this kit, and does it alter ride height?

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

3. KleanK5

KleanK5 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Using the shackle flip to acheive 4" of lift seems very economical at $150, compared to $300 for rear springs (Tuff Country) of equal lift. I priced a Rancho kit (F&R springs) at nearly $700. Other than the obvious price differences what are the advantages of either?

I'd like to lift my '87 a tad, 4" would be the max (I'm currently running 32's with Rancho RSX's). I have already decided against blocks, but have'nt ruled out the shackle flip. The K5 is used mainly as a daily driver, towing a couple of ATV's alot throughout the summer months, and see's very minimal trail usage, as it is now. I would just hate to opt for the cheaper shackle flip, new front springs and then decide later I'd like to get a bit more aggressive on the trails.

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Haven't done it myself, but will be this summer. From what I understand the shackle flip will give you far better articulation on the trails along with the obvious 4" of lift. Leaving the stock flatter springs provides more flex.

Some folks (Corey's: http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/7252/myflip/myflip.html) have done them by cutting the stock one and dropping in the hole. Free can be good ya know! [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

5. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

HEY COREY!!

COREY
    I like that flip dude. Give us some details. How much lift did it give you? You didnt HAVE to cut the rivets out, right? The shackle bracket mounted in the same spot? Does it limit articulation at all? How wide did you cut it for that articulation?

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

6. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I DONT KNOW BOUT A SHACKLE FLIP KIT ..BUT IF YOU JUST WANT TO IMPROVE RIDE LOOK FOR VELVET RIDE SHACKLES. YOU CAN FIND THEM IN ANY FOUR WHEELIN MAG IN THE BIG SALE ADS.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

7. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    The reason I cut the rivits was because the torch I was going to use wasn't at my place, and I can't drive the truck with no rearend. Not to mention, I'm not big on large open flames 4" from a storage of 31 gal of fuel. Being a fire fighter, I know how interesting it can get. As far as how wide, It was wide enought for the shackles to swing, and long enough that I was sure it wouldn't hit when under compression or hanging. So far, no problems or complaints. Couple things I had to do were: CV Shaft for the rear, and 2deg. shim to tilt the pinion DOWN so the driveshaft wold be inline when the vehicle was "under power"

Corey
    88K5

coreyperez@freewwweb.com

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez