Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drewminator, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Drewminator

Drewminator Registered Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Looking for help. I have a '83 K5 to which I just put on a custom front winch bumper with 2 shackle mounts. The bumper is very stout and well mounted to the frame. What size shackles should I be using ? I found one that has a 3/4" pin that is casted with WWL6 1/2 T. Are these strong enough for heavy use ?

Also, I have a Warn 2" reciever mount shackle system that is casted with WWL3 1/2 T if I remember right. The pin is not as large that screws into the shackle. I have never really stressed this Warn system which I put in my factory reciever. Are the factory reciever & this Warn system combined adequate for pulling on/from the back ?

I don't want a failure and as a result to hurt some one. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Please advise.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
  2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

May 4, 2001

I am using the Warn receiver type for rear hookups. Seems to be holding up but it is definately the weak link in my hardware. Just to clarify - are you comparing the pins from the Warn hook to your shackles? Or does it look like excessive play in the Warn unit?

Plan on the failures - that will minimize the injuries/danger. Keep all people visable and do not let them get near straps or cables that are under load.