Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shaft In Doubler Kit

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by ponderingjunkman, Dec 10, 2001.

1. ponderingjunkman

ponderingjunkman Registered Member

I have my 203 and 205 apart. Isn't it a shame that there is no 205 input gear with 35 splines like the output shaft from the 203 range box? Stephen, how do you make the shaft on your kit? are the splines cut in or rolled in? Do you heat treat it afterwards? It is made from the 203 shaft, correct? I have the capacity to fabricate the case adaptor, but cutting splines is beyond my capacity, especially if it is heat treated after. Do you sell just the shaft? I'm not out to hassle you, just trying to spread my limited budget far! I hope to contact you soon to purchase the 205 input gear. Thanks for your time!!

No Replacement for Displacement

2. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

I have made the adapter for 203 205 doubler to use with my turbo 350 since I just beefed up my tranny I didnt have$$$$ to get another, I took my drawings and dimensions and contacted moser and they cut and splined my 203 shaft to work,heatreated shaft , email me for more info dont remember price since i bought some axle shafts at the same time look for reciept and let ya know

mudduck

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

At this point we are using the NP203 core as to start with. The shafts are cut with the correct spline pattern to mate to the t-case then they are re-heat treated. We're actually not far off from going to a billet shaft so we don't use the factory shaft to start with.
    DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT'S NOT RE-HARDENED. We have a local customer that built his own a couple years before I came up with my original idea (or so I thought) and wore out the spline and broke his shaft. He's now running one of ours with much better luck.

We can't sell the shaft alone at this point, it's an integral part of the kit so if you want just the shaft you might as well get the free adapter with it.
    There's no rocket science to building a Doubler, but think about the time to put in it and what else you could do with that time. We've sold a good number of them to machinists. Their take on it is that they can just work a long weekend and pay for it rather than messing around for a lot longer time and not having the same thing.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

So does that mean if I work a long weekend you will give the doubler to me for 1/2 off?[​IMG]

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sure, long weekend at 20 hours, $40/hr for a really cheap machine shop, means $800 available to buy a Doubler! We're adequately stocked on help here at the moment, so you'll have to work somewhere else.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

6. ponderingjunkman

ponderingjunkman Registered Member

Hmmm, I charge $42 per hour in my shop- guess that makes me just a cheap shop! Not really cheap! LOL Actually, work has been kind of sparce, so I may as well put in a long weekend (17.619047 hrs) to build my own. Soon as possible, I'll need the 32 spline input- soon as some payments arrive! Thanks for putting up with cheap(not Really cheap) bums like myself!!

No Replacement for Displacement