Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shaft lenghtening

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazen_1, Mar 22, 2005.

1. blazen_1

blazen_1 Registered Member

Hey guys, loving the site here! I just bought a 90 k5(finally!) it has a 4inch lift with 33s at the moment and as soon as i sell my 92 ifs blazer, i'd like to do a shackle flip in the rear and get some new leafs to put it up 6 a 6 inch lift. question being, should i lenghten my shaft(s) if so how much? and what if i were to "clock" my transfer case? does that help things including pinion angles? Thanks for helping a smalltown canadian:D

2. blazen_1

feeling let down, no help yet,:( I'm sure if i looked hard enough, i'd find the answer in here somewhere right?!:blush:

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have not done this lift but generally each truck is different based on brand of lift transfercase type etc. Only way to tell is to lift and then measure. If anyone else has any ideas feel free to answer just my .02.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

It's not cut and dry for each lift if or how much you would need your driveshaft lengthened. Only way to tell for sure is to do the lift and then you will know if you need to have the work done. Truck could be down for a few days waiting for the shaft...sorry

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I agree with what sandawg said every rig is different and I will add that clocking the transfercase will do nothing for your rear shaft. And if you clock it up, the front shaft angle will get worse(more severe).

The shakle flip will point your pinion up, so if you don't have a rear cv you will need to either put a angle shim under the springs or cut the spring perchs off and weld them on for the correct pinion angle.

I have my 205 clocked flat with 6" lift and a zero rate, axle moved ahead 1-1/2", my shaft slope is 29 degrees. That is at the top of what stock parts can handle, so I had HAD make me a 42*cv.

And, all of this has been covered many times:wink1: search newbie:haha:

6. blazen_1

thanks alot guys, i'll keep you posted on my new rig, as soon as i get it back. Have LOTS of plans for it, just gotta sell the ifs blazer first. I'll send some pics if i'm able to and figure out how :blush: