Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shake it loose

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, Feb 4, 2005.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

does anybody else with a 6.2 have a problem with bolts to their engine shaking loose and falling off. Because mine is getting rediculous. last week, 2 of the three bolts to the power-steering pump to bracket decided that they'd fall off, then the two bolts holding the steering pump resevoir ditched out on me too. my ac compressor bracket snapped off @ the bolt (probably my bad, bein' a little heavy on the right foot in some situtations). My starter bolts shake loose every couple months, the rear starter support bracket bolt-to-block bounced a while ago. By the way, does anybody know what size that is? My tranny crossmember bolts shake loose. my water pump bolts shook so loose that coolant was was shooting out the front of the block. All but 2 of my front bumper bolts are gone. The nerts to the spring U bolts shake loose. Even my damn battery terminal screws shake loose.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Buy a torque wrench. I have seen some engine shake like a puppy crappin peach seeds and have never seen a bolt just "loosen up" if it was tightened correctly in the first place.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

get new bolts and some blue loc-tite. make sure the threads are clean inside and out with some solvent and then instal new with a dot of loc-tite on each bolt. blue isnt the ultra hold like red, and will be able to come out on demand with a lot less effort.
    Grant

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually, I have a big perkins in my truck and I torque all the bolts correctly, and I even use loctite on some, and yet every couple of months, I drop the cross member or the motor mounts, I even had the bolts on my drive shaft go out.
    Mine vibrates really bad though it's 67 vintage.

5. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

torque wrench

after i've tightened them down once, they loosened up again, and i took it down to my mechanic and he torqued em' down for me and it still the same ol' song and dance. but next time around, i will clean the bolts up and drop on some loc tite. Thanks for info guys.