Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shake

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WinslowS, Mar 11, 2007.

1. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I just got the truck running today, drove it around the block, and when I got up to around 30-35 I got a horrible shake from the wheel, so bad that it would be impossible to drive any faster or maintain speed and stay in my lane. My dad thinks it is a tire/wheel issue. Its an 89 K5 with 3/4s from an 82 k20 and ~1/3-1/4 tread 38.5 Gumbo mudders, all of which is a recent addition.
    Edit-3/17/07 Took it to a shop, aligned front end, balanced and trued the tires. It needed a passengers side tierod end, but that was all. It was working fine until this afternoon when I went wheeling, on my way between mudholes it came back. I described it wrong above the shake is everywhere but the steering, It is like the whole truck is shaking. I took some rear shims out when I swapped in the 3/4 tons, and now there is almost no angle between the driveshaft and pinon yoke. It is not shaking often as it was before. Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Search "death wobble"

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I was hoping for a thread on Master Shake

4. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

Read update, not a steering issue.

5. 73k5blazer

For a vibe free driveline you want your shaft with a double carden joint by the tranny and straight into the diff (diff usally needs angled up a bit), OR you want equal angles on each of the shaft.

Any other way is going to introduce vibes in the shaft.

6. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I'm sort of a noob, whats a double cardon joint? And would these vibes be nonexistant, then so extreme that the car isnt safe to drive. I don't have a tach, so I can't tell if it happens at different rpms, if that would even help?

7. 73k5blazer

This explains it much better than I can

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html

And yes, you'll get weird vibes at different speeds. As you accelerate, it may be faint at first, then get strong, then go away then come back at a higher speed.

8. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I got some shims that were in the back, I took them out with the zero rate when I put the 14 bolt in because I didn't want the front lower than the back, and the shims were increasing angle, while I thought that no angle would be better(I was wrong).
    My other thought is that I have a bad shock. I am going to correct these angles, but the shake doesn't seem consistant with the driveline vibes, because once it starts I have to stop before the shake will stop. I'm thinking the unbalanced tires were setting it off before, and I somehow made it worse offroad yesterday, and so now bumps in the road at higher speeds set it off. I went over 45 for a while, then had the shakes at like 30 on another road. I'm also going to try hooking the swaybar back up.
    Anyone know how to test shocks?