Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shakin, not stirred!!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BurbLover, Aug 2, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Steve,

I put a D60 on my burb a few months ago and had a problem shaking around 25 mph or so. I replaced the stock steering stab with a single Ranch one I had laying around. Didn't solve all of the problem. Do you think I need to upgrade to a dual stab? If so, any suggestions on style/make? Or, do you think it might be something else? I had someone do a check on the joints & they appeared to be good; however, could be wrong.

Thanks.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like you're describing a mild case of "Death Wobble"....

Everyone that runs a D60 seems to have that symptom to some degree or another. There's a LOT of info on this site about theories to fix (shimming the kingpin bushing spring, checking front caster, adding a hydro-ram for damping)

Anyway, it probably won't make you feel any better to know that it's not just you having that "experience" but it seems like people have had decent success in minimizing the problem with a few techniques.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

First thing, do a search for "death wobble". Be prepared to read for a while. Maybe and easier first thing to do is call here and get a kingpin spring and bushing kit and install it. This gets new springs and bushings on the upper kingpin connection on your steering knuckles and this is a common source of problems. If that doesn't fix it, start reading.

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Stephen,

Couldn't find em on your website. I was wondering a cost. Guess I'll just drop you a landline.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Got my parts lats night via UPS around 730. Gonna try tyo get them on today, if possible. I was wondering if I can use C-clamps, as I don't have any vise grip clamps. Thanks.

6. Stephen

All you have to do is clamp the parts together enough to start the nuts or bolts, screw clamps should work fine. Hope your wobbly days are over...

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Makes two of us. I got my front axle on stands and my wheels off. Next step is to remove flat tops and see what's there. Hopefully nothing too bad.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Got the parts on after a little attitude discussion with the steering arm. Anyway, will be a couple of days before I can check it out. I discovered a few other items that need some attention while the wheels are already off.

Thanks again for your help with this.

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Burblover...make sure and do a follow up post after you take the burb for a test ride. Just kinda curious of your results. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Well, I made it to NAPA to get the needed parts. When I took off one of the castle bolts, the threads stayed in the bolt. I'd never seen that happen. ANyeay, I took a pick & removed em, just needed a new bolt. figured I'd replace the cotter pins at the same time.

Anyway, despite my wifes request (she was wearing a skirt), we went to dinner and in the Burb. She new what I'd been doing and explained to her that I wanted to test drive it. 95% of the wobble seemed to be gone. It no longer seemed to shake at the normal speeds (25-35). However, I also swapped my front tires (unitentianal) and I now notice a small bounce at 40-50. I will attribute this to one not so great Hummer wheel that appears to be out of balance.

So, in conclusion, much better than before. I still plan on upgrading to a dual stailizer setupo, especially when I put my 42x15x16.5 TSL go on.

11. Stephen

YEE HAA sounds like it worked.