Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shaking while releasing clutch....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock44k5, Oct 22, 2004.

1. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Ever since I put my truck back together last year with a new clutch, flywheel, and all the bearings, I get a bad shake while releasing the clutch to take off. It doesnt do it in granny, just 2nd and 3rd. It does it in 2nd most of the time, rarely it wont. Also discovered it does it in 3rd when my throttle stuck one day and I feathered the clutch out with higher rpms. I can see the drivetrain shaking through my shifter hole as well, but I dont know why it would be doing this. I used all name brand new parts. I think the clutch is a brute force if I remember correctly, and the flywheel is a billet steel model. Pilot bearing is new, bushing design. Throughout bearing is also new, came with the clutch. Rear main was damp when i changed everything, but didnt look bad enough to leak on the clutch and make it do this all the time. Any thoughts? Its really getting old and embarrassing.

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I think that the brute force is a performance clutch ment for hard shifts with minimal slipping. you may be letting out too slo for this clutch to grab propperly. I have mainly run automatics so dissreguard this message if other members have a better idear of what is wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I have this happeneng on a car i just purchased, id like ti hear more,,as i think it would apply. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifMine is a performance clutch too /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Clutch chatter--can be caused by many things--warped pressure plate or disc--disc splined hub bent when tranny was installed,usually due to letting the weight of the tranny hang on the disc--(I use long bolts with no heads for guide pins to prevent this)-disc has loose or broken or missing anti-chatter springs in its hub-grease or oil on the disc--Clutch linkage problems,and a throwout bearing that "sticks"slightly on its collar can cause it--
    bad motor mounts,u-joints--flywheel out of true or needs resurfacing--and some as mentioned already,some discs have lining that is a bit on the "grabby"side,to ensure quick engagement and lower et's--if you want to feel clutch chatter try one of those ceramic puck discs that look like a fan blade--the cant be "ridden"--they are either engaged,or disengaged--very little slippage is possible without shaking the cab!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got greasy fingerprints on one I installed before I knew better and it "chattered and shook badly most of the time while engaging. I "fixed" it by pulling up to a steep bank I couldn't climb and slipping the clutch till it burnt the surface a bit. Don't know if this might work but it might be satisfying even if it doesn't work for your problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I get a bad shake while releasing the clutch...

[/ QUOTE ]

ever consider working out /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

haha Micah, I think my left leg is twice as strong as my right from driving this damn truck every day since my car crapped out. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Makes sense about wht you guy are saying about letting the clutch out faster, when i do this it doesnt seem to do it as bad or at all, but i have to let it out pretty quick, basically taking off like a drag car. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Scares the hell out of the old ladies sitting in there nice new cars next to me at a light.