Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shakle flip and lift blocks ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vince13, Jun 13, 2003.

1. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

has any body done a shackle flip and still used there lift blocks, or is this not advisable, got 5.5 inch blocks and want to do a shackle flip to clear 44's. this truck won't be driven on the street just in the bush

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if i was u, I'd get some 5.5" bds springs and put em back there instead of the blocks. just my opinion...

j

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

GMCLegacy has a shackle flip and lift blocks on his truck. I've seen people do shackle flip, lift blocks, and lift springs.

I wouldn't do either to a daily driver.

I just realized how big those pictures are. I don't want to scare the dial-uppers.
    GMCLegacy's rear suspension.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Wanna race /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

lol, while waiting to swap in the 14 bolt, I had

2.5 sky jacker springs
    shackle flip
    4 inch blocks
    3 inch body lift

the front had around 4 inch saggy springs

I had to leave it like this for 2 weeks! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...but I don't advise driving withe blocks and a shackle flip, it seems as though you would have body sway and alot of wheel hop as well as other issues such as driveline angles, just hack up those fenders!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now I am on rear shackle flip and 2.5 inch spring, the front has 6 inch bds and and zero rates in the mail on their way......and a 3 inch body lify /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can run a shackle flip and blocks together but keep in mind you may loose some wheelbase with this combo. Most people run a shackle flip to soften the suspension and allow more flex with the use of flatter springs. If you chose to go this route, I would suggest running anti-wrap control to keep the pinion from slopping around with all the leverage (especially on big 44's) and you should be fine.

6. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

what if you custom some lift blocks that you weld to the diff and brace them properly?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    what if you custom some lift blocks that you weld to the diff and brace them properly?

[/ QUOTE ]

some peeps do this on rockwells. <shrug> On that particular axle it seems like an ok idea to me... mainly because the axle tubes are incredibly thick and being square its pretty easy for a garage fab guy to make some gussets to support them. At any rate, taller than stock perches are fine in my book. Only real problem is the increased likelyhood of axle wrap.

j

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Leaf springs provide two important functions; as springs and as axle location. Spitting out the blocks is one problem but mainly due to loose u-bolts. The big problem comes from soft springs and the increased leverage placed on them whcih can cause wrap or even break surrounding peices. If you use ladder bars to locate the axle and control wrap, then you could run a 12" block and it really wouldnt matter since you've supplied other means for location. The sam goes for allowing a spring to heavily arch, you loose its axle locating properties unless is very rigid, effectively stiff.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

some peeps do this on rockwells. <shrug> On that particular axle it seems like an ok idea to me... mainly because the axle tubes are incredibly thick and being square its pretty easy for a garage fab guy to make some gussets to support them. At any rate, taller than stock perches are fine in my book. Only real problem is the increased likelyhood of axle wrap.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys beat me to it, you and Borego

Like you said it's more the leverage the blocks create by spacing the axle so far from the springs.
    I have a shackle flip and 3" blocks on my Full size Jeep Wagoneer but only with 35" tires and I still feel the slight wrap, I would definitely put some kind of anti wrap device for a 44" tire not matter what suspension you are running.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run a shackle flip with a 2" block. I have no problems. If your running mud, go for it.

I also ran a 5.5" block without the flip for years with no problems.