Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shaky ride

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blueblazes, Dec 30, 2000.

1. blueblazes

blueblazes Registered Member

Hello,
    I recently purchased an 89 K5. When I drive over a series of bumps (common for Mi. roads nowadays), my truck sometimes starts to shake left and right until I slow down. It feels like the front wheels are being turned back and forth quickly, but I'll be holding the steering wheel completly straight. If I speed up, it becomes more violent. If I slow down enough, it stops and then continues to drive normally. I'm going to take off the front wheels tomorrow to have a look. Please write back with any suggestions or comments on what I should look for. This forum is always a big help, thanks.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

this is a completely newbie response (since i dont "drive" i wouldnt know) but the shocks? stop laughing at me! lol

[​IMG]

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I would bet the tires need balancing. They are almost always the culpret for trying to jerk the wheel out of your hand. I would check this before the more expensive shocks. Just my $0.02

[image]C:\father&son.bmp[/image] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]

4. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

BALL JOINTS!!! that's the first thing i'd look at.
    Jack the axle up till the tire comes off the ground and then put a bar under it and pry up and see if you have any movement in them.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy
    [​IMG]

5. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Ya its the ball joints itll get worse,have a friend look out the window and sees which side it is ,you can watch the tires shake but most likely youll replace both sides

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like ball joits to me. you may need new tie rod ends too, they like to wear out wit hthe ball joints.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

From what you describe, you definately have some hard parts (ball joints, idler arm, tie rod) badly worn....if it was wheel bearings, you'd have a hell of a noise, and with a wobble like you're describing, you'd more than likely be parked....Tires out of balance will wobble, but will be speed sensitive (meaning you may be able to speed up and drive through it)....if the wobble is in the steering wheel, the problem is in the front....if the wobble is felt in the seat, the problem is toward the rear.....you got some hard parts worn out, my friend....90K5 just replaced a lot of his stuff, so he can help scare ya with info on the cost, and probs he encountered.....good luck....JD

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate