Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Share your fun of owning an old truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I've got a funny story to tell from last night and I hope that others share their funny experiences from driving an older vehicle. You know, like the time you had to click your auto tranny into gear with a wrench from underneath and then jump in the truck quick before it drove away because your shift linkage was broken...

Last night I left work and jumped in the Blue and Silver 85 K Jimmy. Hit the starter and as it started I heard this grinding noise. "What the..." so I switched it off quick, but even though everything was off and the engine wasn't running, the noise continued. "Huh?" I opened the door and heard it coming from under the truck, sort of a grinding, sort of a rattling noise. "What in the world is doing that?..." Suddenly I realized: the starter motor was running. "OK, I'll just unhook the battery. No, I pulled my tools out yesterday. Well, then I'll bang on the solenoid with the tire iron. No, that's in the garage too. Crap. Well maybe I can turn the key again and get it to disengage." No such luck. By this time, the starter was beginning to smoke, so I knew I had to hurry. I didn't want it catching any oil on fire or anything. I ran full tilt back inside work to the lab to look for some tools. Since it was late, no one was around and everything was locked up. Scrounged around and found a crescent wrench and booked it back out to the truck. It looked pretty funny sitting in the parking lot, hood up, buzzing, smoke coming up, but not running. I took off the battery cable and heard the solenoid snap back. "OK, I guess I'll just call for a ride and pick up a new starter and come back, throw it in and get a jump start." But after I waited about a minute, I hooked the battery cable back up, turned the key and it started right up. Not only did the starter and solenoid work, but the battery wasn't even dead. But I do suppose that I should be looking for a new starter.

There, that's my story, sorry it's so long. Now let's hear yours...

<font color=green>"MAN THOUGHT HURT BUT SLIGHTLY DEAD" --Providence (R.I.) Journal</font color=green>

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hell, I could keep you here all day with stories like those!! :)

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

3. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

I have one from when I was younger and stupider...well 2 years ago :) I was out camping with a few buds of mine and we desided to go ride the trails that where out by where we where campin, well all my buds have new rigs....new z71(ryans) new ford ranger (matts) and my other bud josh...makes me sick 2000 suburban...6" pro comp lift and 35s...on a new burb? and then thers ole Me with my 76 beast well im in the lead (pushing the brush and branches away) and low and behold we find a mud hole about 50 feet long...well i drop her in low range and rip throu that sucker like it wasent even there....sprayin crap in every direction..well I get to the end and my truck dies well next comes josh and his bad a$$ burb rips throu...well he went 2 feet to the left of where I was and sank th pasenger side in the hole up to his window!!!!!!! man was it fun to watch well when we pull him out and get my truck started with wd40 (dont ask) we head back...well im in the rear this time and my truck starts puking black smoke...im thinkin ahhh hell just some build up of gas...well some how when we left we drove 60 miles back home...well my truck was slugash and all so I thought I needed a new air cleaner....then rite as I pull up to the drive way...slam...the thing stops....find out that I seased 4 pistons and cracked the cam...and drive 60 miles? wierd how things keep going even when there dead! I sucked almost half a quart of mud inot my intake! man im stupid!

---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

How about putting a for sale sign in your truck and 5 min later (no $hit!) the block cracks with no apparent reason. ##%^#@$!@$@!#! is what I said!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

5. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

That story is way too familiar to me. I had an '84 S-15 Jimmy until I got smart and bought a '90 K5. Anytime it snowed, and the roads were slushy, I had a rough time. Driving through the slush, my starter would just start on its own, so I'd drive with this high whining noise down the street, it was embarrasing. The only way to get it to stop was to pull over and come to a complete stop, but this would only last for a few minutes until it started again when driving. Then one day in the summer, no slush, I came home from work, parked in the driveway and went in the house. About ten minutes later I heard a whining noise from the driveway, just like you, my starter just decided to start. I tried everything, but couldn't get it to shut off. This was back when I kept my negative battery cable on hand tight since i was doing work on it all the time, so I went to pull it off to shut it down...stupid me, it gave me a nasty burn and blister. So long story short, I had to take it off with vice grips. I asked tons of mechanics and message forums with no luck. I even bought a new starter, and that didn't even do the trick. Ended up selling the truck last summer, so who knows what it was.
    Just had to share that with you, thought I was the only one.
    -Tim

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Hey, last year I had an 85 S-10 Blazer (traded it in on my K5)...

Anyway, my parents own a ranch, and they put their cows out on range. My mother and I were out scouting them, and trying to find them.

We started getting all kinds of dust pouring into the truck. My mother was determined that it was coming from the back window, and I though it was coming from somewhere else.

I told her I knew way that we could find out for sure... (I had no idea that it created a suction, and thought it absolutely absurd that it would come in the back window...) lol I opened the back window!!! (yea I know, what a moron)....

We were is an extremely find powdery dirt, and the S-10 was low enough it would just make it BOIL!!!

To make along story short, you could not have taken anything and pumped more dust and dirt into a vechicle then we got in about 10 feet!!!

I was convinced it was coming the back window and we fixed it with some duct tape... lol

Lets just say I am very convinced to NEVER open my back window while drive... I'm now it would suck that exhaust right throught and be VERY dangerous...

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

How about I buy this truck and it's fine mechanically. Perfect with the exception of it needed a value job which was done. Then less then 2 months later as I am driving home from a New Year's Eve party it makes a funny noise. It only lasted for 3 seconds. I thought what the heck and pulled over. I get out and being dark I can't see much but everything looks ok. No fluid pouring out anywhere. I get back in and start it up....no funny noise. I drive 3 miles exactly, not a single noise, running perfect when It makes a huge pop sound like I hit a Geo Metro or something! I pull over and there is oil everywhere. My beast decided to throw a rod. Talk about no notice what so ever! Happy New Year to me.....!

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

8. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Last summer I noticed a little puff of smoke when I would start my truck, no big deal. My truck is also a disel to gas conversion w/ the original radiator and spliced hoses. I noticed I was starting to use water, no biggie the spliced hoses must be leaking more than before. Well on my way back from work my truck starts looking like Puff the Freaking Dragon. I had to drive it the rest of that week because we were moving, or I was doing all the moving while my wife was working 12 hour shifts, and mine was the only truck I had to use. Luckily my wife had just graduated and was making some money so we had the funds for a new crate motor. :)

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

well the only gm story i have as of now is the phantom wipers.i was bragging on the fact that mine doesnt,well later that day,i turned them on for what ever reason,they go up and stopped.my old jeep cherokee would for no reason at all and never long enuff to trace it would start smokin under the dash,were talkin major smokage FAST!every time i would swear it was on fire.by the time id get pulled over it was done throwin its hissy fit.id bail out smoke every where,and none to trace.go figure.never burned up in the 13 yrs i had it.also in the cherokee,i some how sucked the gasket from under the air filter,and it got stuck in the secondaries.mr toads wild ride at disney had nothin on that.[​IMG]theres a ton more,w/ the cherokee and my old cj,but i think ive taken up enuff space for now.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My doors have lots of character - sometime the locks stick and I have to do a buch of stuff to get them to open. The tailgate does the same thing, have to hit the tailgate right where the latches are and open the handle at the same time...

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>