Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

share your odd moment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Just thought I'd start a fun thread. Just tell some off occurances that happened while wheeling.

I had an 86 blazer. After I lifted it me and my fiancee went backroading in it after it snowed some. I saw a huge snow drift and decided to take it. I hit it and it stopped us completely. Basically we were stuck because of ice, in the middle of no where. Thankfully I took off the stock tall air cleaner the day before and had it in the back. I remembered it and grabbed the deep lid and I dug the blazer out of the drift with the air cleaner. To this day my friends still laugh about that.

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

The other day me and some buds where out wheeling in the Selkirk mountains and about one hour away from the trailer and 20 miles from anything the contact tab on my distributor rotor breaks. Auto trany and slip yoke 208 in this truck so a tow is out of the question. So after tossing around some ideas and doing a lot of head scratching someone remembers the write up in Petersons about battery welding, COOL! So I locate a non-critical wire in the harnes, clip it out and use it to "weld" the cantact back together! Ran great for the rest of the day! Thats my best story.
    J

3. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I had a set of aluminum lift blocks that crushed under sever wheel hop. Used two 2" reciever hitches to fill in the space to get home. I'll never use aluminum block again.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

There was this goat, a bag of feathers and 5 gallons of vegetable oil...

:D

But seriously...

My dad, my brother and I were 'wheeling when I was a kid and we were driving down these railroad tracks. My dad started fooling around, acting like he couldn't get off the tracks... but then we saw a train coming up behind us (a freight, thankfully) and discovered that we really couldn't get off the tracks!
    At the last minute, we finally got over but not quite far enough... the train hit the side mirror! Talk about scaring the pants off a 9-year-old!

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

...coming to the "startling":rolleyes: revelation that ground that seemed firm to two 180lb guys wouldn't be to a 5000lb Blazer.:p:

When I lived in San Diego a buddy of mine and I went up to this valley I used to wheel in. It was his first time out so I was kinda showing off and we found this "dried" lake bed. Not a drop of moisture around and the ground "seemed" dry to us. So I tore at it and promptly sunk down to the front diff skid plate (this was a '92 K1500 Blazer with IFS) and half way up the front 33" tires in the mud. This is also where I learned just how worthless AT's are in mud.

We're miles from anyone, neither of us has a cell phone, and we might not even be where we should be...so we start walking and 50' later come across most of a burnt up pallet sitting in the weeds. We broke it up and chucked it under the rear wheels. That gave me enough traction to get out I didn't stop until I was 20' higher in elevation and definately on firm ground. The shame of it was my camera's battery died just as my buddy was about to get a picture of me tearing out of there with mud chunks the size of footballs flying everywhere...:doah:

6. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A few years ago, my cousin and I decided to have a little fun with an old Chevy station wagon that was just taking up space on his property. We went driving down a sand wash in it and got stuck so we ended up using the hood of the car as a traction plank to get the car unstuck. I got the idea from an issue of Hot Rod magazine where David Freiburger did the same thing with his dad's Pontiac Bonneville.

Scott

7. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

My grandpa gave me his old hunting rig - 79 K5 he had sitting up at the cabin in Ely, MN. It was the rustyist rig I ever drove I was about 17 and had quite the heavy right foot and not a lot of sence. I was out wheeling it with my buddie in the pass. seat about 8 miles from my place which was out in the country (no other trucks). We were hitting the trail pretty hard and fast when I caught some pretty good air - way more than planned. The front end slammed down the pass door flung open and nailed a tree glass shattered everywhere and the whole door caved in, and after the ace end came down we went about another 20 feet and she died on me. We both get out bleeding a little and come to find we had lost the gas tank when we landed and it was in about as bad a shape as the window and empty. It was a long walk home.... Ever since then I have always wheeled with another rig. :doah: