Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sharing antennas

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by cybrfire, Feb 16, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Right now I have a CB with twin 3' antennas. I have added a scanner. Do they make an adapter that will split the hookup for the antennas so that I can use the antennas for both the scanner and the cb. Will this cause interference? Or is it possibly going to damage the receiver on the scanner? Anybody.

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

If you have them both connected to the same coax you will smoke the scanner the first time you key up the cb. You could get a duplexer but would limit your scanner to freqs above about 130mhz and they aren't too cheap.

If you like the look of your setup you can always use one antenna for each radio with seperate coax. It would actually make your cb perform a little better since the spacing isn't enough on a blazer to give a decent radiation pattern for duals anyway.

The scanner won't pick up as many stations using a 3 foot cb antenna but if most of the stations you listen to are fairly close you should get decent results.

3. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

VERY BAD, it is not reccomend to run more then one antenna on a cb, the sell them, but if u look at a radiation map, 2 antennas throw the SWR off to the point that it is worse then one antenna. for the scanner, just hook straight into one of ur 2 other ones. or u could even get a splicer and hook into the AM/FM antenna.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Would it be possible to have one long (102" whip) and one short (36" spring steel) antenna mounted on the top of the truck and only use one at a time. They would both be mounted using an adjustable elbow like our boat antenna is mounted on so the one not being used could be folded down. The reason for having two is, the 36" spring mounted one would be used on the street and anywhere powerlines and anywhere else anything less than 17 feet off the ground is common. The 102" whip would be for off road use. I was thinkin of installing them both then rigging up a toggle switch to select either antenna but not both. Would this work?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Would it be possible to have one long (102" whip) and one short (36" spring steel) antenna mounted on the top of the truck and only use one at a time. They would both be mounted using an adjustable elbow like our boat antenna is mounted on so the one not being used could be folded down. The reason for having two is, the 36" spring mounted one would be used on the street and anywhere powerlines and anywhere else anything less than 17 feet off the ground is common. The 102" whip would be for off road use. I was thinkin of installing them both then rigging up a toggle switch to select either antenna but not both. Would this work?

[/ QUOTE ] I have a 102" on a spring, on the overhead lightbar off the roof of my K5. I strike power lines daily. No problems yet. Everyone seams so scard of power lines. But I've yet to get shocked !!!!

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

you could also get a quick disconnect for the antenna mount and just use one mount. You can switch your antenna with just turning it a half turn and on goes the next one. Or for the cheap people like me... just carry a wrench that fits the antenna and switch them out when needed.

You only need one mount and one coax then.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You wont get shocked either. The single twisted lines are insultated and would only short through the antenna to each other in a worst case deal and the split lines, you would have to short them together and they would short to each other. You could short one leg to ground but I think the rubber tires would stop this. I would go with the long wipe.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Ok well even if I didnt have to worry about power lines there's still anything else to think about. With my current 3' steel antenna I always whack the roof in drive thru's so I cant imagine how bad it would be with a whip up there. Maybe I will get one mount for both antenna's, but that leaves the dilema of where to store the whip. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh well I'll think about it some more.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You could stick it on a spring. I had a whip on my old Landcruiser and the spring worked well. I had to put a tennis ball on it to keep it from slapping the side of the vehicle though.

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

also, if you really wanted to spend a lot of money on it, they do make antenna switch boxes. these are generaly for stationary mounts, but I'd immagine you could tune it to run with your CB... you'd have to adjust for the new SWR on the CB that the switchbox would add, and you may not be able to reach a decent SWR with it inline.

good luck with it tho,

-Rich