Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sharpening Drill Bits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Mar 23, 2003.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

What is the best (in way of cheap) way to sharpen drill bits? I was trying to drill though some steel on my truck, and the blade got dull, even when I was using oil to cool it down. Do you really have to buy one of those expensive electric sharpeners, or is there a better solution?

Thanks as always

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It can be done with a bench grinder, but it's hard to explain.

On the drill bit you'll see two half of the bit at the tip. The leading edge of each half does the cutting and the chips follow the fluting up and out of the hole as it's drilled.

The edge is what needs sharpening. I grind a little on each side with dips into the coolant often to keep from over heating the bit. I do a little on each side to keep the bit roughly centered and even angle wise. From the edge back it should slope slightly down, or when you push down on the bit it will ride on the area behind the leading edge and not cut.

I was shown the basic's and got a feel for it after experimenting myself...unfortunately I can't show you, only try to describe what works for me.

Rene

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the biggest problem you have is holding the drill steady when you drill, if you have a drill press the drills would stay sharper longer...but like most K5 guys we no have...so the best way to sharpen a dull drill is to hold a new drill right next to the one your sharping, that way you can try to copy the sharp one...I like to hold the drill with the cutting edge flat to the grinding wheel and the drill at a neg angle to add relief, then I roll it up to relieve the back side...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

One of the other problems is too much rpm when drilling...dulls the bits quickly.

Rene

5. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

The drill press will go as low as 600 rpm. That is the slowest it would go, and that is what I had it set to. It went though 4 leafs, so maybe that is a long life for a bit. I just don't want to spend 12 bucks every time I drill a few leafs, so... I may have to invest in a sharpener.

6. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

We have a Drill Doctor at work and that is a neat tool very easy to use and after the cost it will save money.
    Oh and cause Paul Harvey said it works. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Eric

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status