Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shattered T-Case *need to get to work*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bkackoaktree, Jan 25, 2003.

1. bkackoaktree

bkackoaktree Newbie

I need some serious help/advice soon. I have to get to work on Monday.

A couple of months ago I blew up my t-case. NP208, six inch lift, etc. I recambered the rear axle and have a nice fat CV on the driveshaft. My t-case appears to have a slight declined angle. I never checked this with a protractor, just notice today. The problem is that I blew up (as in shrapnall) my other t-case. The tail shaft housing snaped off, the case is completely worthless, except for scrap metal. Never had a problem with low fluids or anything. The week before this happened I did do a wheelie (unintentionally). I finally saw what a stroker motor could do. Anyhow I located a used 208 and mounted it back in today. Had the driveshaft fixed and everything appears just the way it did when I drove it 100-200 miles a day 5 days a week. I should add the set up I had before was fine for about four months of heavy driving, both on and off road.

So now I've got things the way they used to be, but I'm hearing noise I don't like. There's this kind of quiet thumping noise when I let off the gas, in overdrive. The transmission is fine, the u-joints are fine. The noise seems to be coming from the t-case area. But we all know how sound travels. When I drove the thing about 10 miles I started to hear a light metal on metal, kind of a grind/thump/humming noise. I'm not sure how to describe it, except it reminds me of the noise I heard coming back from four wheeling, just before the t-case sent pieces all over the highway. When I first started hearing this sound, I attributed it to some loose gear road noise kind of thing. But since it was a little bit of a spectical I'm kind of gun shy about driving the truck now. Does anyone have insight on this, or had a similar problem?

Sorry for the long post, but I just want to make sure the facts are all here. I just sold my car, that I bought on impulse after this happened. Now I'm back from the dark side of short little red sports cars and into something that looks at them as articulation ramps.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

make sure the t-case is bolted to the crossmember

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

get a 205.
    that will take care of a few problems.

otherwise make/find a brace for the 208 to keep it from moving.
    Grant

4. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

208 aren't very good for high horsepower,205 would be ideal /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The 208 should be pleanty strong, way stronger than the 10 bolts and 700 at least