Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shave a 44?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brady, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Anyone here ever shaven a dana 44?with nothing else to do I started grinding on my 44.I ground it smooth up to the cover.I thnik I am going to do some more along the cover.Anyone else ever bothered to do this?I didn't gain alot but it can't hurt.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I wouldn't do it myself. With a D-60 I might concider it becuse of all the extra metal and the fact that a 60 is so much stronger but not a 44. Remember 1/2 ton axels are on the low side of the food chain when it comes to full size 4x4's. If it were a 44 in a Jeep then I would probably say go for it but not a full size.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would shave a Beaver. But I would never shave a 44. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I am not worried about weakening it.I only took the bottom lip offLike a 1/4" of material.The biggest thing is it is smooth now and rounded.Going to reinforce the cover also.My cover is dented now so I will replace it with another one I have with the extra strap added.Doing the same to the rear 12 bolt.Tired of peeling the cover and having leaks.

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

In case your wondering why I am bothering.When I swap to 1 ton stuff the 1/2 ton stuff is going on my Heep.