Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shaved 14 bold breakage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sope, Dec 31, 2005.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I.m just starting to clean up and install my locker for my 10.5" 14 bolt. I had plans on shaving it just by cutting off the lower lip. As I was just about to pull the sawzall and grinder out I started looking at the case. It looks to me if I cut an inch of the lower lip off it would really weaken it and the chances of cracking it on a rock would increase. I've also considered smoothing out the big lip and taking less material off so it could drag over the rocks instead of hooking them. I plan on doing this later tonight or tomorrow morning. I just wanted to see who has broken these cases on rocks or if it's really nothing to worry about. Is it worth weakening it for an inch of clearence? Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks, James

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I lopped the lip off of mine, then smoothed the underside so it wouldn't be an anchor. I have landed real hard on it more than a few times and never had a problem.

1" of clearance is huge. You can either shave it, or run tires that are two inches larger.

Rene

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I shaved mine and put a Rock Ring on it. The only problems I have had is getting a good seal on it. Twice I had to pull the cover to reseal it. Now that the Detroit is in there I probably won't touch it for a while, except maybe top it off every now and then.

It has taken a beating over the past year with it shaved and I have had no ill effects:)

4. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

just started cutting.
    Thanks, JP

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ah crap, I thought I would actually get to see some 14b breakage. I knew that was an odd post title...

6. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Nope. I just seems wierd cutting all the meat off the diff. Normally it's about adding to and protecting your parts. Anyway got the cutting done last night and the grinding is hapening today. Looks good.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I shaved mine down till I had about an 1/8" before the bottom threads would be exposed. I have since dragged it all over Arizona and now the threads are starting to show. I don't have leaks and don't worry. There is still a good 3/4" of meat there.

8. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Thanks again. It's good to know it's solid. I probably took ot down to about 1/8" from the edge of the bolts and smothed the lip out. It looks good and I now have faith in it because of your replies.

James