Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shaved the 14b this weekend.....PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I didn't get as carried away as I could have, but everything is smoothed out and that big ass lip is gone...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took me about...half an hour to do that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

looks good, i wish i wouldve done mine before i put it in my truck...

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ya know, Ive been looking at that big lip on mine from my front porch lately, (it just stands out like a sore thumb from where I sit outside) wanting to chop it off but pulling my axle back out doesnt appeal to me. Ill take another look at it next time I put PI on the lift at work. Maybe I can do it while its still in w/out having to lay on my back. Guess Im just lazy. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That looks almost exactly like mine. I did the same to the D60 front too... Nice job! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Zeus33rd

Thanx.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Looks good. When I shaved mine I got pretty aggresive on the lower lip and shaved it into the bottom bolt hole. It will still hold a bolt but the threads and hole itself are visible in spots on the bottom of the diff. I had to shave the bolt head too. Now i have a 3 sided bolt in the bottom.

I am going to have to go back and do some more grinding on it sometime too. I smoothed and shaved the bottom good, but I didn't grind enough from the sides of the diff. I thought it would be enough, but now I know i am going to have to grind some more.

Looks good though. I am going to finish the rest off like you have it on the sides.

7. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

That looks good, I need to do mine too. Did you use a grinder ?? If so what size was it. I've been looking at mine and all I have is a 4" grinder, I was just wondering if it is up to the task.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Takes a long time with just a grinder. It's quicker to take off most of the lip with a Sawzall and then finish up with the grinder. I did one of my 14-bolts in about 30 minutes using just the Sawzall and a 4-inch grinder. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Takes a long time with just a grinder. It's quicker to take off most of the lip with a Sawzall and then finish up with the grinder. I did one of my 14-bolts in about 30 minutes using just the Sawzall and a 4-inch grinder. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same for me. About 30 minutes for each end. Started with Recip to remove most of the material, 4.5" cutting wheel for some tweaking, 4.5" x 1/4" grinding wheel to slick it up. When I was done, the bottom bolt heads on each end were flush. Then I added 1" x 1/4" strap stock to the bottom lip of both covers (ground to match) to prevent peeling. Finally, bent some straps to go over the ring gear hump and angle into the lower reinforced lip of the cover to form a sort of ramp AND to triangulate the lip edge (again, to prevent peeling).

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I wish I had a sawzall. When I ground mine I used a 4" angle grinder. It sucked. I used cutting wheels (3) to cut the big lip off the bottom. Then I went threw with some grinding wheels and ground the piss out of it. It took quite awhile to get it done. I think it took minimum of an hour, probably closer to 1.5 hrs. I didn't do it all at one time though so I can't really judge the time. But it did suck.

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I like it...flip it over and do the other side to drop the weight, I've droped 80lbs. off my 14FF by changing over to disks, taking that lip off, turning the hubs a little and grinding...

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

sweet!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    That looks good, I need to do mine too. Did you use a grinder ?? If so what size was it. I've been looking at mine and all I have is a 4" grinder, I was just wondering if it is up to the task.

[/ QUOTE ]

From start to finish, it took me less than 30 minutes. I used a 9" DeWalt grinder with a cutting wheel to make the intial rough cuts. Switched to the 9" grinding wheel to shape it, then a 50 grit disc to smooth it out. I love that Grinder...Took a cast perch off a 14 bolt in less than 10 minutes with it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

WOW!!! That looks very similar to what Wayne and my brother worked on this weekend. They shaved mine and got it under the truck. Looks good though!!!

16. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I guess I will sawzall first, then grind. I am always hanging that lip on something, or dragging it down the center of a rut somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Zeus33rd

I tried using my sawz all...To damn slow. The 9" grinder with the cutting disc took off the majority of the bottom lip in less than a minute. Try that with a sawz all. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

With the axle out of the truck I used a 7 1/4" skill saw with a metal cutting blade on it. Made short work of knocking off the big stuff. Used an angle grider to fine tune the rest. BTW- you can buy 7 1/4" metal blades at Home Depot for like 2.39. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif