Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shaving 10b front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How much can I shave my 10 bolt front axle and still have enough meat left? I rockcrawl so I will probably slam the diff pretty hard. How much is ok and how much is to much?

I already shaved about 1/8" and smoothed the diff this afternoon but kinda want to shave more. Thanks

Harley

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you see gear oil stop!!

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The front end takes a LOT of abuse when you happen to get some air time. I would be concerned that removing too much metal could make the housing too weak to handle the stress of re-entry. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm no expert in the field... but it seems to me that removing metal from an already weak axle would cause problems... unless said axle was under the front of a rig that weighed a lot less than a stock blazer/PU...

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I cut off the ears with a hacksaw and ground off about 1/8" all the way around including the top of the case. I then blended the lip into the rest of the case.

After that, I went around and removed all the surface defects from the case. Especially on the driver's side on the webbing. I then went around the case with a stiff wire wheel and "polished" it with that. After that I ran a sanding flap thing-a-ma-bob to smooth it out even more.

If you really want to beef up the case then I'd run a thicker cover. I'd also run a tap into the holes to tap further into the case. I'd then run some ARP bolts in it. That'll get rid of a lot of the flexing of the case.

The weakest part is still where the driver's side tube goes into the housing. They always break right there.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I picked up another cover today to plate with 1/4" plate for frontal abuse. I think I will just call it quites with the 1/8" removed and blended.

Harley