Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shaving a 14 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Chris, Jun 7, 2004.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i'm bout to shave my 14 bolt...

i read steve's tech article... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

one question.... how hard is it to do it entirely with an angle grinder? the axle isn't on the truck yet, and it's down to the bare housing, so i can flip it upside down for easy access.

should i try to get my hands on a sawsall instead of attempting it with just an angle grinder?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It should be pretty easy, just make sure you have extra cut off disks handy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i'm bout to shave my 14 bolt...

i read steve's tech article... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

one question.... how hard is it to do it entirely with an angle grinder? the axle isn't on the truck yet, and it's down to the bare housing, so i can flip it upside down for easy access.

should i try to get my hands on a sawsall instead of attempting it with just an angle grinder?

[/ QUOTE ]

Difference is about only 3 hours.
    If you try and grind off 1" with a grinder it will take a long time.
    The swazal or a cut off wheel will take care of a big chunk then you clean up with the grinder.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get alot of cutting disks, and then get a few grinding disks. A sawzall would be nice but I did mine with an angle grinder. Took awhile though. That thing is pretty tough.

Just take note and don't follow my lead on the grind. I didn't stop till I saw thread. That is the threads of the bottom bolt hole in the diff housing. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Oh well, it works for me sofar. If I had it to do over I would take more off the sides though. You can see how much I ground mine in my link to my webshots account below. Should give you a general idea.

More off the sides, about 1/16" less off the bottom.

Harley

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Took me about 2.5 hours using 5 cutting disks and one grinding wheel (4.5" angle grinder). That was with the axle in the truck on the tires with me on my back.

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks fellas.... i just ordered a cheapie 4.5" angle grinder from harbor freight for $20. i would have rathered a nicer one, but that's all i can afford now, and it's better than nothing.... hope it holds up..... might have to grind for a while and let the grinder cool for a while.... i'll get it done sometime soon.... and get some pics.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The HF stuff work great for hobby's and such. I have used the piss out of mine. Ya I replace them about twice a year, but that is cause I use them a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

(in the last year alone I built 2 cages, 2 sets of bumpers, sliders, a seat frame, and some other stuff all of which was wire wheeled after welding for more grinder usage)

Shaving the 14ff is the second best mod for it (1st being a detroit).

8. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Shaving the 14ff is the second best mod for it (1st being a detroit).

[/ QUOTE ]

got my open carrier in the mail today..... only cost me $30. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

now, its time to sell my craplock for twice that /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

dont know if i can afford a detroit right now though.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif i love having one in my 10 bolt..... i'm going to miss it.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would borderline even saying that the best mod for the 14 bolt is shaving it. If you can't afford a Detroit you just weld it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

four best 14 bolt mods in no specific order, pinion conversion(rid of the straps), welded or locked diff, shaved housing, disc brakes.

11. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

pinion conversion (rid of the straps)?? never heard of it, please elaborate....

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh we've been talking about it and whatever, I hate the straps some people don't care. Namely meaning, those liitle straps of metal that hold the U-joint into the yoke. Replacing it with a yoke that holds the joint in with 2 Ubolts.

13. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i did the shaving last night.... took me bout an hour and 3 cutting discs. i still need to take the front part of the lip down a little more with the grinding wheel..... but, overall, i'm happy with the way it turned out....

i don't feel like hosting pics just to post here..... so, if you wanna see pics, you gotta go here: http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=45537&forum=16

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're going to love it. I bought mine shaved, locked, and disc'ed already, and I had no idea how important taking that lip off was. I've since dragged it on rocks, and through mud all over the place without ever being hung up due to that.

15. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Chris,
    I read on further in your link about metal in your eye, I would get it checked quick or else youll end up like me, having a doctor tell you to let it rust out! oh by the way nice username /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    -Kell-

16. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Chris,
    I read on further in your link about metal in your eye, I would get it checked quick or else youll end up like me, having a doctor tell you to let it rust out! oh by the way nice username /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    -Kell-

[/ QUOTE ]

haha thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

i went to my eye doctor on monday, and he cut it out with a tool that looked like an exacto knife. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif it's actually already healed. i learned my lesson. i'm wearing full goggles from now on.