Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shaving a 14 FF.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Sep 17, 2001.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I am going to shave the bottom of the housing and was wondering how far some of you have gone.
    It looks like I can take it to the middle of the bottom bolt hole.
    And that would remove the lip and the bottom of the housing would be almost smooth.
    If I take it that far I could gain an inch of clearance.
    And the bottom would no longer have that anchor to get hung up on things.
    But that would leave out the bottom bolt. I was thinking that if I took some 1/4 x 1/2 inch flat bar and made a strap that went from the top of the cover and around the bottom that it would keep the cover from leaking. That and it would give the cover additonal support from being peeled off.
    Or would removing that much material weaken the bottom?
    Going to the bottom of the bolt hole would be a gain of a 1/2".
    What's the most that some of you have taken off?

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would only go to the bottom of the bolt, so that way if you catch it on things you can still have enough material.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I shaved mine to the bottom of the bolt. I think the most crucial thing is just getting rid of the lip.. or just rounding it off. I used a 4" angle grinder. It worked well but took a while. Anyone else use something different?

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I went as far as I could while still keeping the bottom bolt hole due to concerns about keeping the cover sealed and preventing it from peeling back.
    After cutting the lip off, a grinder was used to smooth out the cut and it is angled so there is a smooth transition going from where the lip was towards the front of the housing. I think this gives a smooth ramp for the diff to slide over obstacles.
    So far there is really no noticable difference on the trail regarding ground clearance (as far as getting hung up) as compared to the 10-bolt. There have been times after driving through ruts with no apparent problems that I have looked back and could see the drag marks from the 14 bolt. I think just getting rid of the boat anchor lip and smoothing the bottom of the diff is just as important as the extra ground clearance.

5. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm considering using a magnesium cutting rod with my arc welder. It's like air arc gouging. I'd cut to the point that there's still plenty of metal left until I touched the bolt hole, then grind the rest.

David Oliver
    '85 'burban
    B&B 6.2L J NA
    T-700
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *Banks Turbo coming soon*

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I shaved mine similar to Steve Watsons pictured here at the bottom:
    www.off-road.com/chevy

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Thanx for everones input.
    Shawn, That diff pic of Steve's is what I am after.
    Getting rid of that anchor and still retaining the bottom hole.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've whacked mine pretty good a couple of times and no damage so far. Can't get a diff gasket to hold oil after whacking the cover, but so structural damage to the housing after hitting it.
    I agree with everyone, I don't think the clearance is that huge of a concern, the smooth part is the biggie. I have a buddy that actually welded a chunk of steel into the front of the lip to smooth it off and it works pretty well. A little backwards, but some of the same effect.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

9. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

now that you know how much to take off you had better get a case of shave creame and a truck load of razors!!!