Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shawn...Question about Revolvers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Junkie, Aug 22, 2000.

1. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I was wondering how the shackles were holding up to everyday use since you have had them on for a while now. I am thinking about ordering some and just wanted to see how they are holding up. Another question...you ordered the shackles for the XJ right?

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

So far the Revolvers are holding up fine. I've been real happy with them. To have them open up fully, you will have to run longer shocks which require a different mounting position. I'm still running my 9012 shocks in the stock location. Yes, it is an XJ Revolver.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

4. Shawn

Nope the XJ bracket happens to the same size as the stock shackle. It may be 1/4" taller resulting in 1/8" more lift. I thought about locking it for the street. Even with the stock shackle, I'm not so sure about the jumping part!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Not sure about jumping??? Well, come awn out to Pismo some time, Shawn!!!!!

ken

6. realsquash

7. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

8. Shawn

Hey Ken. I expecting to see your Sub or crew cab jumping in the picture! I want to a heavy Chevy jumping, not some lame Jeep![​IMG]

My shocks will probably be mounted like Depdogs in the rear which are at an angle and go up towards the center.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Don't let my wife hear you saying "lame jeep". That's her CJ7 with 401 v8...sure does a lot better in the sand than my Suburban!!!! All it really is is a heavy sand rail with too much HP!!!! Hey, hows that intake coming along?!?!??!?! :D

ken

10. Shawn

Dang Ken! How many vehicles do the two of you own??? Jeep, Sub, Crew Cab, older Sub... am I missing one? Whats her email, I'll tell her myself! just kidding[​IMG]

Should have that puppy off soon and then she's yours.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

11. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Shawn I just got back on line.Have you ramped you ride with the revolvers on?Did it do any better than stock?What RTI is it doing now?Also are you in Denver?If so come on out this way and hit some trails.I'm in Battlement Mesa.Brady

12. Shawn

I did ramp it with the Revolvers and it was actually better going backwards. It got 986 on a 25 degree ramp. Check out the article on http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/revolver

[​IMG][​IMG]

I live in Littleton/Highlands Ranch area. Wouldn't mind coming out in your neck of woods.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

One of the concerns I have about the revolvers is the stress put on the springs due to the twisting force, the rear will twist but the front is still stationary. Also worried about them unloading during steep descents, anyone have these out in Moab yet? I like my suspension tight (Blazers are squirly enough) and flexy and am not quite sold on them yet, but you never know. I think you might be OK just on the rear but they might raise safty concerns if you ran them on the front as well. Off road design may be installing a set for a short time for evaluation - Metal made rite is selling ORD's flips with their revolvers for the full size crowd. Just trying to raise a few questions that people might not have thought of.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

14. realsquash

I got to thinking about this one, and I've developed a little theory. When you brake or decellerate with a manual tranny (moving forward), the revolvers will be forced into compressing because of the force put on the spring. When you accellerate, the springs will move in such a way as to "promote" the shackles opening. Just think of your pinion when you hit the gas, it goes up and the rear of the spring would go down. Whether or not the acceleration would be strong enough to open the shackles is a matter of weight on the rearend. The only reason they should open up during a steep decent is if you aren't on the brakes or coasting with a manual trans, or if the weight over the rear shackle is very low (less than 50lbs, which is near vertical) and you happen to hit something the wrong way (like the gas).

Was that worth $0.02?

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash