Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

She killed it :(

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by lowlevell, Apr 24, 2001.

1. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

When i left my ex a year ago, i also left her my 75 Chevelle. Yesterday i received a call from her saying that the engine went. Around a month ago the bolts holding the torq converter to the flywheel backed out ( not sure why this happened). She thought the tranny went out. After inspection from the local mechanic, he found the tranny was ok, just the bolts had backed out from the torq conv.And of course she doesnt know how long she drove the car while the bolts were on there way out. (She HAD to have felt it shaking). Anyway, the sbc 400 (250,000 miles) finally is dieing. I believe the main(or more) bearings were wiped out from driving the car with only one bolt left in the torq conv. It still starts and runs fine but "she's-a-knockin". Anyone think of anything else she could have wiped out?

Good news for me though:) I'm buying my baby back for $200 because her new boyfriend doesnt know #$%^ about cars....heh LMAO:) This car is all original 2dr, all factory options sbc 400 4bbl. The only thing this car doesnt have is the "Laguna Malibu" (remember those?) option. (which i believe the only difference is the nose piece and side window louvers). ITS ALL MINE WOOHOOO.........<evil grin>

One From None

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Thank God you're getting it back! I'd hate to see a Chevy in the hands of the wrong person!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Bummer...

If only one main bearing went, it may not knock unless she's on the gas good. It will not have good oil pressure, since the oil will be escaping through the BIG clearance in the spun main.

For knocking, the first thing I would suspect would be a rod bearing. Less oil pressure loss, possiblity of little to no knocking at idle, but knocks when revved up. Try pulling one spark plug wire at idle to see if the knock goes away, then reattach and try another until it goes away. If it does go away, you've found a spun rod bearing for that cylinder.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

COOL! My lil bro's best friend used to have one of these... he always used to think he could beat me and I'd dust his @ss LOL. But was a sweet machine and cool car. Glad hear you are getting it back. Steve hit some good stuff for ya... pretty much if it's knock'n it's time for a motor. May I strongly suggest today's specials... 502 Big Block or a torquey and more economical 383... [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Its knocking at idle and under gas. Although i didnt let it run long, she says it gets louder the longer the car runs. I think the engine, or at least the crank is beyond saving. I will need to drive the car about 2 miles to get it to my garage. I hope it makes it.
    The car does not have an oil pressure gauge and it looks like the oil "idiot" light does not work.

One From None

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Lowllevell, it might still be salvageable. That'd be worth the price of a tow...

7. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Yeah i have been giving some thought. It would be worth $50 to see if the 400 is still good.

One From None

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

thank god you are getting it back from her

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]