Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

she lives!!! (and a question)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 16, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK guys it has only been 7 months (sorry for those of you that have had your rigs down longer), but she finally lives at last!

man that static timing this made it a piece of cake! instead of grounding a spark plug I used the timing light, and when the light came on then I knew I was close. the other nice thing about this is that method is that if the light doesn't come on then you have something else wrong, and you can go back to re-evaluate why you aren't getting spark.

man Jeff's a happy man!

OK now the the question - this thing seems to run about 20 PSI (oil pressure), and the gauge doesn't seem to move much. I'm assuming this is sorta normal (an I'm still doing the cam break in so haven't really varried much) until this engine gets a few miles under it's belt, and parts wear into their groove more?

2. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

Re: she lives!!!

good job now beak that motor in and have a blast, my trucks been down for 18 months three weeks and 2 days(but its mainly my fault).....Jesse

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Re: she lives!!!

In the immortal words of Cartman on south Park... "SWEEEEEET!"

Now screw you guys, I'm going home!

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You may need a new pressure sender.

5. solowookie

found that mystery - I was about 5 minutes into the cam break in, and I got a bus. call so my wife took over. I had been periodically check under the k5 to check for any kind of leaks (had none). I went into the house, and it took me about 15 minutes to finish up.

well when I went back out there was oil running down the back of the motor (assuming from one of the oil pressure senders), and I had lost between 2-3 quarts of oil! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif well I put oil in, and restarted it - now the oil pressure sender is working OK. I'm assuming there was something in there that blew out, and I'm going to have to pull the distributor etc. to find where the problem is back there, and get it fixed.

engine was pretty hot to the touch (a lot more then normal) so I'm assuming my timing is a little retarded.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

New engine breakins tend to run a little hot at first. Make sure you have a means to breathe crank case pressure or you can push oil out the gaskets.

7. solowookie

oh I found the problem - there is oil sitting on the right rear of the intake - it's gotta be coming from the sender joint that is sitting right on top or it. there are breathers on top of my valve covers (one on each side) that connect into the TBI so I'm assuming that is going to let the crank case breath.

I found where the leak is coming from so now I just need to let that blasted engine cool down enough I can work on it. lookes like I get to pull that distributor out one more time... LOL (I'm getting pretty good at it now /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif)

I still have the fenders off, and the inner fender on the drivers side. 5 bolts and I pull the left side inner fender so I can get in there to work on it real easy. it is easy enough to work on it that way I'm kinda thinking that I'll pull that the fenders / inner fender everytime I gotta do a job like this.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When sluggo45acp and I put in my new motor, we had failed to retighten all the oil pan bolts. When we fired it, lots of oil was leaking. During the 30 minute cam break-in period, we went through 5-6 qts of oil! I was sitting on top of the fender pouring oil in as fast as it was coming out!

I know my timing was also a bit too much retarded when it first fired too. But mine was easier to tell, I guess. The 2-3' flame from the open headers combined with the fact that the headers turned cherry red after 30 seconds or so gave it away. Just before adding the oil I rotated the distributor to get more in line for the break-in.

9. solowookie

LOL - well in my case nothing turned red (wasn't very far off) - it ran out about 2 quarts of oil, but there wasn't anybody there to catch it. I turned it off with about 10 minutes left to go in the cam break in. after i get the oil leak fixed I will probably go head & time it, and then do another 15 minutes of cam break in.

10. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

How long is a cam break in and how do you do it??
    Luke

11. solowookie

you get it started, and don't worry about timing it or idling it - run it for 30 minutes between 2000-2500 RPM's. there is nothing that oils the cam directly, but it gets oiled by oil splashing off the crank, and that is why you keep the RPM range there.

after the 30 minute cam break in then you engine is good & hot so you can go ahead & time it. then you are ready to proceed with normal break in.

12. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Ok I will be breaking mine in soon. I just have the carb left then hooking up accecories. Thanks
    Luke