Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SHE MOVES! BUT she's hairy...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jul 25, 2001.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

SHE MOVES! BUT she\'s hairy...

Wow... finally the truck is complete enough to drive her to work today! I can't believe I finally got it running! I have been building my K5 NON-STOP since early March!

Here is the hairy part! The steering thing has to be fixed (and soon would be good!) I took her to the gas station last night around 10pm after getting my new cross member from Wes! (Thanks Wes, it worked great!) We got there without a hitch! But like everyone knows who has a large lift... the steering was so bad that there must have been 3/4 turn in the steering wheel before the truck reacted! Took a look at her when we got home to find a few things that could have been tightened some, but other than that, all the play is in my steering box! I know how to take the slop out with the hex bolt on top and all... but I just wanted to tell everyone that I was pissing in my pants driving at only 40mph! I must have looked like I was severely drunk, swerving all over the road like that!

Anyhow sorry for the long post but I simply wanted to thank everyone for helping my out on this project! I would have never gotten this far without you folks! You guys/gals have all the answers, right down to the driving characteristics of these vehicles. I had not even one noise I couldn’t figure out… and this is the first time I have driven a K5! Sounds KRAZIE, but with my total 9” of lift and 454 power, I had to make the first K5 I drove and owned, a unique truck!

Thanks again everyone! I will have to take some off-road pictures of her once I get her into the Midwest mud!

Does anyone else smell BFGs burning???
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a> [​IMG]

2. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Re: SHE MOVES! BUT she\'s hairy...

I went through the same thing recently, put a few creases in my seat the first trip [​IMG]. It took three rounds of tightening over 200 miles to get my new suspension to stay in spec. I also tightened up my steering box which helped a lot also. Every bit of slop just gets exaggerated with a big lift and big tires. You will have to post some pics soon, sounds like a beast.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: SHE MOVES! BUT she\'s hairy...

ORD Steering brace was most bang for the buck taking slop out of the steering. I tightend the box up with the hex nut, new tie rods the works. That brace did more than any of that. Now you might also have some slop with the springs. Get under there and re torq the U-Bolts with the weight of the truck on it. right after I put my lift on and drove it a few days it got loose and turns out the U-Bolts will strech a little and lost torq. Troqed them back down and it felt better.
    You might want to get somebody to turn the wheels back and forth and get under it and see where the slop is. With that much lift you may need to put trac bars on the truck to keep the axles centered.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper