Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SHe ran!! Still have a few ????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Apr 17, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

She ran guys!! it was dead GP. They are new so i over looked that, guess i was sold bad plugs. Now on to the questions. I did some testing also. 25V in top and bottom of relay. i thought it should be 12V out the bottom of the relay. After running i get 29v out top and bottom. Does this mean the gp are getting full 29v? I not sure anymore. Kinda confused myself with what i was reading on the meter. thanks for the help guys!!!

mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pull a spade connector off a GP and test glow voltage there...then you'll know exactly what voltage the GP's are seeing.

Rene

3. 84CUCV

yea, i should have thought of that

4. 84CUCV

Now i have no idea what is going on. It started hard, but it did. Tonight nothing again!! Damn glow plugs

5. tRustyK5

Tell us what voltage you're seeing at the GP's and I'm sure someone can help you get this figured out. Maybe you're getting twice as much voltage as you should which is killing the GP's almost right away?

Rene

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

do you still have the fusible links in the orange wires that go to the green glow plug wires? maybe you're killing your gp's w/ too much power. btw, anyone know what size fusible link that should be? i need to replace one of mine.

7. 84CUCV

OK i will find out and post up. thx

8. 84CUCV

Just checked it. 25v into the top of the relay. 1.0 out the bottom and at the gp ends.:confused: I was thinking the resister was going to bring it down to 12v. wow, i am getting confused. I cant see a fusible link by the orange wire. My wireing is kinda hacked up by the po. is the link under the black plastic covering? i will try to find out for you. Any help would be great!! need to get this running.

thanks

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

immediately coming off of my gp controller are two orange wires which go thru a wiring connector and continue to the green glow plug wires. about two inches from the gp controller on those orange wires are what looks like black shrink plastic - that's the fusible link. if one of those goes out, you won't get power to the respective side of the engine. if those are gone or bypassed, you might be sending too much power to your gp's and thereby destroying them.

10. 84CUCV

OK i got it. thx

11. tRustyK5

yeah, 1 volt ain't gonna get the job done...:doah: unless the job is being a small flashlight.

Rene

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think the GP's are only supposed to get 12V. Sounds like they are burning out due to the 24V feed. You should be running the solenoid off of a 12V circuit.

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Come on guys, re-read every post we've done on the CUCV glow plug system:

The resistors only work IN CONJUNCTION with the glow plugs. THUS in a no-load condition you will register 24+/-V going into the relay. When the relay closes (load condition) you "should" be seeing 12+/-V. If you're seeing much more than 14V you've got dead glow plugs (more voltage=less resistance). If you see 24+/-V with the relay closed (and connected to the glow plugs still) ALL your plugs have crapped. This can happen in only a few starts because of the escalating effect the dead plugs have (one dies 15V, two more die 18V, couple more 21V, then straight 24V).

You don't know how many times I used to hear " Geez Sarge, It started a little rough yesterday and now it doesn't want to start at all today." :rolleyes:

EDIT: I re-read your post and if I'm hearing you right, with relative new (known good) plugs you still had 24+V going to them during a cycle. The only way this would happen is both ballast resistors weren't working. This would be unusual, but I guess possible. I've seen resistors short out (no power) and I've have changed resistors on a couple of CUCVs that had a bad habit of eating plugs. It sounds like yours may have a similar issue. That sucks, I hope for your pocket's sake your new glow plugs didn't burn up. Also I would check your engine ground strap, that might have been the problem on one of the "hungry" CUCVs.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  14. 84CUCV

thanks i think i got it. mike

15. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Yaaaa....it lives...and you won the cash...April is a good month. I thought at least one of the resistors had been removed from your truck? You posted a pix of the firewall and Dan said they were missing. Wasn';t that you? If both your resistors are missing and you have been slamming 24 volts into the GPs without the resistors the GPs are gonna die lie flys. To confirm, put a voltmeter directly on one of the GPs and run the start up cycle. Voltage should pop back and forth between 0 and 11 or so...any thing higher than 13-14 means one or more of the GPs on that side are open, i.e.not heating.

16. 84CUCV

yes, that was me but a m1028 not miy m1009. I will try it and see if it works