Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

She says I need to make my hose longer!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quack_Addict, May 9, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I changed the oil on my `96 GMC yesterday and figured I should probably grease the front end. I have a pretty good grease gun... but the hose is only about 10-12" long.

You need 3 hands to grease a front end with this setup - one to hold the hose on the grease zerk, one to hold the gun and one to pump the handle. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I felt like a monkey under the rig trying to use my knee and leg to hold the back of the gun while I pumped the handle. All this while I'm on my back, under my truck, with my girlfriend laughing so hard she almost started to cry. When I explained what I was doing, she said I need to get a longer hose /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif. That was the final straw... it's time to get a longer hose.

If any of you guys/gals have run into this and gotten as frustrated as I did yesterday, FYI, Grainger has longer hoses to fit grease guns... about $10-15 for 22-24" hoses.

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hmmmm...never had that prob with my solid axle.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Fooled me there for a moment. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif "Need a longer hose." /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I was about to suggest you to have me come over and give a longer hose! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously, I have had that problem with wishing I had a third hand, but I went out and got the type of grease gun that you can use one hand and squeeze the handle while holding the hose with the other hand. Works great. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Quack_Addict

Hitting all the grease zerks on the `96 with IFS... almost an hour of cussing and fussing.

Hitting all the grease zerks on the `84 with SFA... maybe 10 minutes and really easy (only took 10 minutes because I had to jack the rear axle and spin the driveshaft to get U-joint zerks). <font color=blue>I thought technology (IFS) was supposed to make life easier???</font color=blue>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

no, that technology is supposed to make life harder forcing you to go to the dealer since the cost is at least less than throwing wrench after wrench out in the yard from frustration./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

She says I need to make my hose longer!

<hr></blockquote>

I think they have pills for that nowaday's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My wife's '94 Sub is fairly easy to grease. You just have to swing the plastic air management shield down out of the way. Look closely and you'll see that the 2 front attachment points are spring loaded shoulder bolts. They let the shield hinge down for easy access to the tie rods, pitman arm, etc. Just remove the rear bolts and swing it out of your way.

And oh yeah, like Wes said, a pistol-grip grease gun is much easier to use. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Or even beter get the pistol grip air powered grease gun.

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

laketex, I disagree. That means you sell your IFS POS and buy a K5 or other solid axle truck./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Like me. Anyone want to buy a 92 Blazer K1500?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Quack_Addict

The `96 with IFS is the daily driver... I have 3 trucks with SFA. The older trucks just don't get the MPG's I need to get driving 60 miles to work one way /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

1983 K10 4x4
    1984 K20 4x4
    1987 K20 4x4 Suburban