Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

she' smokin... could it be bad gas??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Jan 25, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Well I am playing with the 75 now and she is smoking, the motor is out of my old 83 and it never smoked at all, could bad gas be the culprit?

the gas is old, as in 6 months old....:crazy:

just hoping!

thanks in advance ..shawn

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not likely--

What color smoke??--blue=oil burning,white=anti-freeze or tranny fluid(bad modulator valve diaphram)--I doubt if its the gas,unless you put 2 stoke mix for a chain saw or something in it accidently...I have stored trucks and let them sit over a year with the same fuel,they didnt run that great when awakened until fresh gas was added,but no smoking--maybe your rings got stuck while sitting or some surface rust formed on the cylinder walls during storage...

We fixed a car at my friends shop that had a junk motor,we put a boneyard motor in it--when we started it,it smoked like a chimmney!--we called the boneyard and thanked them for sending us a motor worse than the junker we pulled out--the guy got very defensive and angry,and said"I personally inspected that engine when the car came in,it was A-1,no way its junk--he came to the shop too see for himself--we let it run for at least a half hour,smoking like hell--he kept insisting the motor wasnt bad,and after awhile,the smoke started to subside,we assumed it was running out of oil to burn!--but we checked it,and it was still full!(and clean too,no prestone in the oil)--we later realized when the old motor was pulled,a quart or so of antifreeze had spilled out of the heater hoses,and poured directly into the exhaust pipe,it took that long to burn off inside the converter and muffler!!

I have seen gas make white smoke on EFI vehicles that arent running right though,so it could be bad gas--only way to check is to run it off a gas can of fresh gas,and see what happens..:crazy:

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Black smoke can mean too rich a mixture. You see this happen in the winter when the electric choke is not funtioning correctly. You will have a strong gasoline smell that accompanies the smoke.

John

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

have you been getting colder weather there? if so with old gas and cold weather you may have condinsation, i get it all the time here in mich. cuz the truck sits alot, the last time i fired it up it was around 50 degrees but it was in the high 20's days before and she had a little whitish smoke that was never there before.i put fresh gas in it and it stopped after about 5 minutes. i only keep about 3 to 5 gallons in it so i get ALOT of tank sweat:blush: :blush: my fault.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Maybe I need to lean out my choke a lil, I get that "rich" smell on real cold days.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

ha ha, he lives near me and our "weather" is really crazy here.....you never know from one day to another if it will be 70F or 73F :D

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It was proabably from sitting in my yard , we have moisture every morning here , it is also 10 degrees colder in far east Mesa . I remember many mornings his truck and windows were covered in water , I don't remember how sealed the tank was though :thinking:

8. boggerless

you didn't get any unusually cooler weather JEFF? i thought we were all hateing winter this year,according to the weather channel.:) PAULY383k10, that sounds like it might be it.dew on the outside,chances are there is dew in the tank. my garage even sweats now that i insulated the walls. if it warms up quick all metal objects are covered with dew,:yikes: :yikes: in my garage!!!

9. boggerless

OH, and quit rubbing it in JEFF we warmed up to 31 degrees today:mad: :mad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: when i get to your house your neighbors are gonna get sick of that homeless guy living next to your garageLOL