Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

she stalls *HELP*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Aug 25, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

oK. I'm diein here! have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, new O2 sensor, new ignition module...it WAS dieing when it got up to operating temp.....now dies when i put in gear when its at op. temp. WTF...I replaced the head gaskets a few months ago and kinda ?? Q my dang vaccuum line placement. it idles like a gem for about 20 seconds, and then it sputters and dies out. the EGR seems ok..??(saw it move up and down w/vaccuum) but i disconnected the EGR same thing. For giggles I disconnected the TBI brown/black wire for setting the timing, and it idled fine-only dies when i move th distr. too far. FYI, its not throwing any codes! WTF!!! i'm at a loss!!!

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds like the problem is ignition related. Have you replaced the pick-up coil? You will have to remove the distributor, in order to replace it.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

got a picture of this "TBI" cause your sig says your 85 is stock with TBI and the first TBI wasnt available till 87. There was however the CCC " Computer Controled Carb" that may have been available in 85 on California emmissions trucks.

It plays by different rules including still having a choke that could have a bad heater element that would cause those EXACT symptoms.

Help us help you out and tell us exactly what you have and if your now in doubt post us a picture so we can help you out.

4. stick

stick Registered Member

this is probably stupid and i dont't why i'm saying it but here goes. gas cap. let me know if this could be or could not be a problem. i know that when i replaced mine it quit dying. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I know, yes its an 85 with what i think is an 87 engine..has the TBI, all the factory crap for an 87 w/TBI. I haven't looked at the numbers on the tranny, but am guessing it may be from an 87 also...i'm impressed with the observation. This is really annoying to say the least. I can add another problem, i fear to add to the post...my blazer is a thorn in my side at the moment! AHHHH!!!!!!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Fuel pressure check. Where its the pump? If they did it right it's IN the gas tank. It can be done with a frame mounted pump. It sounds like maybe the pump is bad and it's dying from lack of fuel.

7. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

yes, its in the tank...traced the lines back, and did replace the filter.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Dying when it gets up to operating temp suggests O2 sensor.

Changing head gaskets requires a lot of this stuff to be disconnected. Did the problem start after this? Are you sure everything got connected correctly?

9. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I replaced the O2 sensor after I did the head gaskets. Yes, it did the same thing (die at idle) before i did all the work. Actually when i got her all apart, there was a huge gasket leak on pass. side intake (a ball of *dirt!) and crap was sucked in. It was the dirtiest mess i've ever dealt with on an engine....cleaned out what was open (heads up) and put her back together. Since i've had it, when i've went to fill up (fuel) never hear any vaccuum (the 'suckin noise)from removing the gas cap. I went to get a new one, but the part store was closed so will give it a shot tomorrow...heck, after spending $150 on sensors and crap, why not $7 more. I'll cry if it fixes it. by the way, i redid the head gaskets, cuz at some point someone cross threaded a plug (#8) and i could NOT get a new one in no matter what i tried...took it out to retap it (didn't want to risk loose shavings in the head).