Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

She whined and complained,,,but

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4xcrazy, Jun 18, 2006.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

in the end, she took it like a good girl does :D :eek1: :p:

The burb, that is,:doah:

I had to take a nice little drive out to SoCal (Fontana and Bellflower) yesterday (Saturday) to pick up some parts and visit some relatives, the relative visiting part didn't happen, they were away this weekend, so i came straight back that evening..

Anyhoo, pulling the flatbed trailer (thanks Marv Springer):waytogo: , out that way, i knew it was going to be an interesting ride off the bat....wiring/plug issues, had trouble finding the right one. Got it taken care of, and left late Friday night (9:30ish)

'89 Suburban with 243k on the motor, never torn apart, valves making some noises under hard load, so i only got to do about 65 all the way there.

Stopped about 30 miles into Cali, as i was tired from the drive to and from Lake Havasu City,AZ earlier in the day for work, then all the crap i did after work to get ready for this drive, stopped at about 1am, got goin around 6am.

Get out there to pick up the free parts from another member (thanks Buddyrammit) :waytogo: chatted for a few, nice dude there, then head down to Bellflower to visit another member for the dually bed,wheels and bumpers, (thanks K5er4Life) nuther cool dude:waytogo:

Got everything loaded up and started back,,the wonderful 91 came to a nice little stop and go situation, then hit up the 60, which came to another nice little stop and go stiuation, which during this time, the motor decides it wants to get alittle warm, around 210-220 or so, this due to the fact i haven't installed a new fan shroud for the 4 core rad yet:doah:

almost two hours later, i finally hit I-10:crazy: , get to cruising speed of around 55-62, cause that's about all it would do up the mild hills (Cali speed limit as well) and awhile later i hit Indio, CA. (nice HOT little town) was well over 100 degrees by this time:o

Those that know the area, know that leaving this eastbound is a nice little hill climb,,,about a 6% upgrade for about 10 miles or so:eek1:

So i gas up the tank (another $90) check the water level, and start at it,,,

Slow goin, fired up the heater full blast, all windows open, and gradually kept dropping gears,,well from 3rd andways, decided to just go ahead and take it easy behind a slow rig and just let the engine do what it could, with what throttle i was giving it to keep the valves from screaming at me:p:

Needless to say,,25mph, for 10 miles, and the engine decided it was time to get my attantion and say she didn't like what i was doing to her,,,heated up to about 230-235, but kept right there the whole way up. ( i was alittle nervous):( but got to the top and things started to cool off a bit, as did the outside air.

Kept cruising around that 55-62 mark all the way across and eventually reaching the stateline of Assizona,,,i mean Arizona,,never really realized how long of a slight grade/pull it is leaving Quartzsite it was, until you pull with a vehicle not happy with pulling stuff.

Kinda funny, people were passing me with WHOLE cars and larger stuff, looking at me wondering why i was only doing like 45 or less:p:

Anyhoo, after leaving Bellflower, CA at about 12:30 PM, i finally reached the front of my house at 9:00PM nice little cruise for one day, thank you:wink1:

Thanks again to those highlighted through this "story" and here is something alittle different,,,

I appologize to anyone i ever doubted, and made comments about 35" tires, and 4.10 gears with a 700r4:eek1: it really sucked towing there and back with this, i could have definately used some different gears for the pulling, guess it does alright for regular to and from work type of stuff. This is the first experience i have had with this setup pulling something with alittle weight behind the Burb. Don't think it'll do it again either,,,seriously:p:

So as i started out, she whined and complained about what i was doing to her, but in the end, she did what was expected out of her, and took it like a good girl does:p:

Basically, i had an interesting weekend, and i think i lost about 10 lbs from sweating it out on that slow drive:doah:

just though i'd share some more worthless stuff here:D

2. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Let me see---100degree outside,230 under hood, heater on high =10 lbs ----yep, that works out!!!!!!

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Wowzers. Glad ya made it back.

By the way, you needed to lose that ten pounds anyway.:p:

:haha:

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

ACTUALLY, I needed to lose alittle more than that, but hey,, WHY aren't you answering your phone!!!!

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

ha, me and K5er were wondering what time u were going to get home last night.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yeah, it took some time, i wasn't in a big hurry, as i knew the truck wasn't really going to be happy about all that weight, just took it easy, and played in your traffic:eek1: :doah:

god i don't really miss that,,,but then again, as soon as i started droppin down into the desert,,,,i think i can handle your humidity now more than this friggin heat:crazy:

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Got my new/ used stuff backed in to it's new resting place for awhile,,,man my neighbors really love me :rolleyes: :p:

i brought this stuff back from Cali on a larger flatbed trailer,( thanks Marv) but it sat too low to back into my driveway, my driveway has a pretty steep incline, the rear of the trailer wanted to rub, big time, so i borrowed a friends smaller trailer, we lifted it off the big one, on to this one, then backed it up the hill.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

hmmm so you have been out here and haven't pmed me or anything? Check my location.

LOL Indio nice little town? Thats where I work come do a ride out I will show you the "NICE" areas. That little grade you were talking about is known as the "Coachella" grade to the locals and everyone else calls it Schirroco Summit.

Next time your out this way get ahold of me!!!

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I actually go out there quite a bit, usually just to The Home Depot store on the north side of town, deliver the crap, and get the frag outta dodge:D

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

How many times a week do you come out here? You come out the 10 or the 40?

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I-10, usually up through Quartzsite and Parker, try to stay near civilization in case anything happens,,, really depends on the scheduling of when the store needs lumber products, usually they get 3-4 loads / week, and it also depends on if the boss puts me on that particular run.:crazy:

12. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

lol @ quartzsite!!!

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

our cell phones work all the way through there, except through Parker, they don't work all the way across the 72,,,at all :(

and besides, i did a comparison, awhile back, it's only about 8-10 miles longer to go through Quartzsite than it is to run up the 72

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

9am,,,,,,that's our appt time at the store, white International's with a flatbed trailer,loaded with lumber products, says ELC on the doors, if your around there about this time, look for this truck in the back, just might be me :D

15. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I will do that. Unfortunately here in a couple weeks I will be in Northern Cali for 6 weeks. It will have to be after that.

16. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Good story, boy do I know the feeling of pulling uphill and watching the temp gauge.:frown1: And thanks for the words re. 35 inch tires and 4.10 gears, makes me feel a little better after preaching to some of the experts in the garage.:D
    Glad ya made it in one piece.

17. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

18. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hey t.j. its good to hear ya made it back o.k. it was nice to meet you, its kind nice to have a picture painted of who i'm actually talking to sometimes. that drive uphill with the heater blasting sounds miserable. its about 100 degrees here right now, i'm trying to talk myself into installing a trans cooler on my blazer right now, but chatting on the computer in the air conditioned house is so much more appealing to me right now. anyway hope those parts work out well for you, talk to ya soon.