Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

She won't stop when i push in the clutch!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Mar 25, 2003.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

She won\'t stop when i push in the clutch!!!!!

Ok I have an 82 blazer with 5.7l and 4speed with granny low (sm465 i think) my clutch is all but gone...So i went to three different part stores today to buy a new clutch...But I don't know what size mine is..they all told me that there are three options..11"..11 7/8"...12"....
    is there any way to figure out what size i have with out droping the tranny?
    also my block is a 87andup 350...what are the odds that i have a '82 flywheel or the '87 flywheel..
    Please help..cause i scared the heck out of a chick in a civic today, with all the tire screechin and gear mashin trying to stop..(even when i knock the shifter into netural it grinds and growls)

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: She won\'t stop when i push in the clutch!!!!!

I THINK
    you can use the 11 or 12
    but
    more info on your motor would help
    whats it out of?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if you have a standard flywheel I think you shoudl be able to use either one. I went with the 11" since thats what my 305 had and I had an extra zoom pressure plate in the garage.

4. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need a new pressure plate, I had a Fo(* f-250 that kept braking this little linkage that ran from the plate finger to the plate causing the clutch to not disengage. I found out what the problem was, cheap A$$ Autozone pressure plates, they suck went through 3 of them in a matter of several months before I changed to a Napa clutch.

Just my 2 cents

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Since you have a later-model block you will have a later model flywheel...the flywheels changed on SBC's when they went from a 2-piece to a 1-piece rear main...On my 87, I have a 12" CenterForce clutch....Skip the hype on the CenterForce clutch...I shoulda listened to MJ an got a Ram or McLeod or LUK...I think the 87-up SBC LUK RepSet clutch for our trucks are 11-7/8"...Good clutchs and a good buy IMHO...

It all depends on the size of the flywheel 168-tooth or 153? tooth... the 168 will take a all three that you mentioned...the smaller flywheel will only take the smalle clutch, I believe...

Chris

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i plan on replacing everything..disc,plate, throughout bearing..but i need to know for sure what size clutch to order..as for what my engine came out of...a crate...but i didn't put it in..the guy who owned it before me put it in..and has since moved so i can't ask him..and i don't want to drop the tranny measure it, put the tranny back in..order parts wait two days, pick up parts drop tranny again replace parts....one to many steps
    also to: fortcollinsram...the block is a newer block...but the tranny is a '82..you used a 12" on your all(i assume) '87....is the '82 465 the same as the '87 or was there some sort of change?

7. fortcollinsram

My tranny is a 1972 465... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifMy truck was originally an auto...I bought the 168-tooth flywheel from GM...

it doesn't matter what year the tranny is...the flywheel is the deciding factor here...all 465 are the same where it counts for clutch selection, and thats spline count, which is 10-spline on all 465's...

You have to have a newer flywheel on you newer block...the olderr flywheel won't even bolt on b/c the bolt patterns are not the same..

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

so basically i just need to count my teeth? if i have 168 i can go with 12" if i have less than 168 i need the 11"..right?..can i just buy a 168 tooth flywheel and a 12" clutch and be over with it?...will a 168 flywheel afect my starter if i don't already have the 168?..sorry for all the dumb questions..this is all new to me..but i do appreciate the help... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just a bit of info on the Centerforce clutches...When I did my 465 conversion I got a new in the box Centerforce I from a friend for free...Had the red Centerforce paint and everything. The funny thing about it was that on the back of one of the fingers, It was stamped "LUK". LOL! So I would assume that Centerforce just uses re-painted LUK stuff for its Centerforce I series... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

By the way...I got the 12" version for my 402BB..Just used a flywheel from a pre 87 SB. Works great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. fortcollinsram

yes, you can count the number of teeth, yes you can buy one and be done with it, and yes if it is a different number of teeth, it WILL affect the starter operation, you will need a new starter...

11. fortcollinsram

yes, you can count the number of teeth, yes you can buy one and be done with it, and yes if it is a different number of teeth, it WILL affect the starter operation, you will need a new starter...

12. fortcollinsram

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you can say that again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

while you are counting teeth check to see if it is a newer 1 piece rear seal or the old 2 piece
    again this affects what flywheel you need

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Can you hear me now? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif