Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sheared bolts in a dana 60 housing???? *****UPDATE*****

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BOWTIE, Jul 28, 2002.

1. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

anyone have some tips or full proof method to remove the bolts???

[​IMG]

TIA

UPDATE

after some drilling and with the use of a Sears #5 bolt extracter i was able to remove the bolts!!!
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

thanks again to the ones that helped out
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: sheared bolts in a dana 60 housing????

Ric, I bought a D60 once with a broken stud/bolt in it and got it out the old fashioned way...EZ-out. But I had to heat the area around the threads first.

If you decide to use heat to warm it up, be careful as the heat around that area can/will mess up the inner shaft seal.

Try to use an EZ-out first and see what happens. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, how much did you torque those u-bolts down to? Almost seems like they were over-tightened and the stress caused the bolts to break.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Yikes dude! How'd that happen?

To get bolts out I use the square extractors, the round type never seem to work for me. Make sure you use the right size drill bit that's marked on the side of the extractor, those suckers will come right out. HTH

4. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

wes and fred, thanks for the tips...

wes, i didn't torque to specs so that might of caused it /forums/images/icons/confused.gif but the reason it looks like that is because it happend about 120 miles from home on that granite hills trip that the lonestar k5ers had and i just tightened that one u-bolt as tight as i could so i could limp back home.

5. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

melt alittle wax in there as you heat it up you wouldn't think but it will lossen up those threads

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I recommend you use the studs next time, that looks like a major pain

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

update up on top /forums/images/icons/grin.gif