Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sheared Diff. Pinion Shaft Screw?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GaBnn3, Jan 28, 2006.

1. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

In attempting to change the rear axle bearings for the first time, only half the pinion shaft screw came out. Is there an easy way to get the rest out to complete the repair? thanks

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The big tool trucks carry a special tool for this purpose. Basically it is about a 12" long drill bit and then an allen bolt with a guide hole drilled through the middle of it that screws into the threads that are still left and you simply drill a hole in the remaining portion of the broken bolt then use the supplied extractor and remove the remaining broken piece. I don't see why you can't make a kit yourself from what i've just described. The local hardware store may have the long drill bit you'll need.

3. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

My problem is that the remaining half of the screw is still holding the pinion shaft in place, so I can't get the axle shafts out. I'm faced with working in the tight space available inside the, still mounted, differential. Any ideas?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is exactly what i'm talking about, that is why you need about a 12" long drill bit and the allen bolt with the hole drilled through the center as a drill guide. I have a kit at work for doing this and i know that it is available through the tool trucks. I tried searching for you last night on Snap-on website but couldn't find it. If you need me to explain it in more detail PM me.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

try a pic set. most of them will work out with a little picking on them. just try to spin it out. comon problem. if it wont come out after that. get big punch and hammer and drive the cross shaft out and snap the bolt in 2 . that works as a last resort.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've cracked a carrier trying that. Pin never sheared, eventually went with the drill bit extraction method. Drilling the pinion shaft doesn't work either from what I've seen, it takes way too long to be worth it.

7. treym

treym Registered Member

I used a Dremel with a small cutting wheel. I used it to dish the end of the pin and cut until I got to the screw and the pin fell out. I tried drilling
    and picking for a day and a half. The dremel took about 15-20 minutes.
    Be patient.