Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sheared off spring perch pin.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by harry, Oct 29, 2002.

1. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

any ideas on what I should do? should I just weld on a nub and grind it down to fit or rebuild the axle with spare part I have laying around.

thanks

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Do you mean the centering pin in the spring?
    Go to your local spring shop and buy another one.
    Drive the old one out of the spring pack and install the new one.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Put a clamp on the pack before take anything apart. It will make it easier to put them back together. Assuming you ment the spring pin. BTW, they are less than $10 for 2.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The "nub" is part of the pin that goes through the spring pack. A new pin costs $3. The spring perch may look flat because the end of the old pin is stuck in the hole. Fish it out, install the new pin and bolt everything back together. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Use the C-clamp to control the spring pressure as you take it apart. Line up the springs so that the new pin will slip in and then use the C-clamp to press the spring pack back together. Tighten the nut on the pin, then cut off the excess threads (the pins are 5 or 6 inches long to start with). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

Thanks everybody,
    it was sheared so clean I thought it was part of the axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you want a strength upgrade get center pins for Ford springs...they're 7/16" compared to the tiny 3/8" pins on the Chev springs. You'll have to ream the holes in the springs and perches but they should last longer...

Rene

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Since you said it broke flush and you couldnt tell the difference between the perch and the pin, I am assuming its on the differential side this happened. I had to do the exact same thing a week or 2 ago.

Have fun getting it out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

What did you do, drill out the broken stuck piece and install a new pin in the pack? Yes, it is on the Dif side.

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Installing the new pin was the easy part. Getting the old nub out was the challenge. I ended up drilling it into swiss cheese to make a bunch of thin passages basicly and used a slide hammer w/ a screw in the end. Screwed it in and gave it a few knocks. Good luck.

Also hose down the nub w/ WD-40 or something similar. I also tapped mine back in a bit just to get it broke loose. It was just that much more I had to pull out, but I made sure it wasnt rusted solid.