Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sheared output shaft off of SM465..who else?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Beast, Mar 27, 2003.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I am currently in the process of swapping a new bed on my truck. A few days ago, I took my truck out to see how good I could throw roost with no bed in the way. After fooling around long enough to thoroughly cover everything, I drove into a deep and goey mud hole. I've driven through it many times, but not in the last 6 or 8 months. I guarantee no one else did either. I had to spin the tires in forward just to get down into it. I couldn't even get my back tires all the way into the hole before movement ceased. I mashed the skinny pedal pretty hard in forward, then in reverse, the in forward again. I could move about a foot and my front bumper was touching on the pass side and a few inches above the mud on my side. My 44" TSLs were almost covered with goey, not soupy, mud. One more hard romp in reverse brought a POP and revving of the motor. I tried all the different gears and Tcase positions. Nothing. A Warn winch on the back of my buddy's Blazer pulled my out after we double lined it and tied him off to a tree. He flat towed me home and a few days later I took it apart. Bottom line was a broken output shaft on my SM465. Since I am already running my spare 205 Tcase, I was relieved to see where the breakage was because I have a spare tranny. Anyone have a TH400 Version 205 they can sell me? I understand that this is a rare occurence, but if I broke it with my 350....what's gonna happen when I finish the roller cam 468?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I can't believe I'm the only one who has sheared the output shaft off of a SM465. I'm not even running a big block...yet.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A 44" TSL is a lot of tire for the 465, especially the way it sounds you were driving it. Popping the clutch and having a good grip on all 4 tires could definitely break it, especially if the tires hadn't stopped spinning before you tried a different direction.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I've heard of people shearing splines before. When my friend owned what we refer to as "the big Crew Cab" (I bought it since) it had 39.5" Boggers on it and a built BB396.

He completely shattered the coupler sleeve between the 465 and 205 out at the ORV park just dropping the clutch. He put a new coupler sleeve in, and had it in our mud pit in my field, was rocking it back and forth since the mud was so gooey, and shattered the new sleeve. Luckily, both times, the splines on both tranny and T-case remained fine.

I bought the crew cab from him and put a used coupler sleeve in and I wasn't able to break anything from the time I got it driving again up until I started pulling the truck apart, and thats even with dropping the clutch myself a few times real hard.

Big tires are hard on things.

5. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

I've sheared the output shaft and have also broken the adapter sleeve in four pieces. the sleeve was broken dumping the clutch pulling someone out but the ouchput shaft was broken on a steady pull during a truck pull, no hopping or nothing, just a sound, a look, a feeling the likes of which you could never imagine. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've heard of people shearing splines before.

[/ QUOTE ]
    A reason I'm glad I have a 32 spline 465.