Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shed antlers

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by o2bjimmy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Anyone look for them or stumble across them? Last weekend I went looking for some, walked for hrs and found 1 small 3pt antler. Then today at work I was cruising down a dirt road in the loader and seen a big Whitetail antler in the ditch. Tonight I ran a tape across it, I came up with 79 7/8". It was a B&C buck in SD, which is all but unheard of.

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I read in my whitetail mag that SD is becoming pretty big in deer hunting than they are producing some big deer, for picking up antlers my buddies farm dog came back one day with an antler that would be 150 class if the other was the same

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a matched pair of mule deer antlers that I found laying in the backyard a few years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But around here the deer are almost like dogs. They just hang out in the yard and hardly even look up from eating the lawn when we step outside. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

We've got some large deer here, but looking for antlers is kinda hard- we got a lot of underbrush. The only place you can really find it, is hopefully in the fall season, and in a densely deer populated area. Then just look for some naked trees, should find them real soon after that. Otherwise, the hardwood branches sometimes start looking like antlers, or you find one side, but the other side is still dangling around on his ear somewhere.

Are you looking to use them as a rattle?

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I used to look for them when I would be out in the spring looking for "buck trails". Most of them were chewed up by the gray squirls and skunks for the calcium so I never botherd saving any of them.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

who needs milk when you got antlers to chew on! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Any of you guys use the real thing for rattling instead of those cheap plastic POS crap they sell at the local hunting and fishing shops (Dick's, etc.)?

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thought about it, but I dont have to call in deer, I have some sorta natural attractant. THey just come to me!

I hear the real ones work pretty well. THey are a little harder to carry.