Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shed some light on emission cr*p

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Oct 25, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to figure out what I really need, don't need etc. when I eventually get a 383 or just rebuild my 350.. My Jimmy is an 80, it has an air pump (to put air into the exhaust manifold?) If I get headers what happens to all that crap, vacuum lines, air pump etc.? There's vacuume lines everywhere on this thing, I see engines in trucks and cars with none of it, simple, clean engines.

Will all of this crap work with a 383? Would I be better off removing all of it? Also does the canister thing and all of those round silver things that vacuume lines go through ever go bad?

p.s. can you post a pic of your engine bay if you don't have all of the emission crap.

2. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Re: Shed some ling on emission cr*p

SURE DO!! Mine passed with flying emissions. You can get some headers with smog ports,then plug them when you want. All mine required was the pump, so once passed, the quadj,pump,stock aircleaner all came off.
    Just make a comprimise on the cam. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. anatomiczero

I live in Washington, they don't look under the hood, all they do is test it unlike California. Should I stick with a 350 engine and beef it up or go with a 383?

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

here's a pic without emissions:
    [​IMG]
    in all seriousness though, I'd get a good shop manual(if you don't have one) and figure out teh wiring and vacuum diagrams to clean it up.
    ah...383 or not to 383. I would and did... but only do what's within your budget. Now a days, i'd put more $ into running gear...I am now wise /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. anatomiczero

Hmm, I wonder if I can get that engine for $2,000 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Here's my engine as it is:

[​IMG]
    GM Goodwrench 249 hp version.

I've thought about going with an open element air filter, I already have the k&n filter. That will get rid of some bulk. Whith open vacuume line fittings I just cover them right? until they're removed or whatever. I'll read the manual now.