Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sheet Metal/Body Project Request

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by Desert Rat, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have been very impressed with the technical articles as well as the product reviews. However, most of them revolve around axles, driveline, suspension, and other hardware. I would love to see someone do a sheet metal/body project such as replacing fenders, rear quarter panels, doors, etc. inclusive of pictures. There has been an article I saw on replacing the floor but I suspect that many don't go quite that far. Perhaps a product review to go along with it using Goodmark Industries, J.C. Whitney, LMC, or some other sheet metal vendor.

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

kinds sounds like you are volenteering... get to work and let us know how it turns out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Desert Rat

Well, I'm part of the way there. Nothing worth posting pics over since I'm in the strip down phase. I've pulled off all the front sheet metal inclusive of the hood, fenders, inner fenders, front radiator support, doors, and all the front grill stuff. I've gutted the interior and pulled off all the carpet, insulation, and other various stuck on items. I've got the dash half way done but need to get the dash pad off. I separated the tub from the frame today, pulled the engine, tranny, transfer case and drivelines. I built body braces/supports out of wood to rest the tub on and pulled out the frame and axles for renovation/rebuilding. I plan on doing the complete bottom end before I get to the body sometime probably in the coming summer. I've already got the 14 bolt FF in the rear that will get a Detroit locker and new ring and pinion. I plan on dumping the front D44 for a D60, probably from Boyce. I got my reverse shackle kit from ORD and also bought a new crossmember from Missouri Offroad in prep for doing the crossover steering on the D60. I'm debating on the high steer from Avalanche, or just going with the ORD setup.

If no one else gets around to posting some stuff on body work, I don't mind documenting my adventure. I just have to figure out whether or not I will buy my sheet metal from GM, Goodmark, J.C. Whitney, or LMC. I was going to swap my rear quarter panels but I'm thinking of just having a body shop strip them, weld up the holes, and refurbish them instead. Ultimately I plan on leaving the rear without the interior panels and Line-X'ing the whole floor and rear insides.

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I replaced my tailgate a year ago and can't find a exploded view of the latch so I don't know what I am missing for parts.
    I looked in Haynes nothing but electric for tailgate.
    LMC catalog is worse. nothing on the tailgate

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mounting sheet metal is an ART......No truck is alike.....the same thing with sheet metal.....so doing a "Write-up" would be difficult....

GM fits the best........Aftermarkets are All about the same.....make sure you have some LARGE pry-bars to align the parts.....

6. Desert Rat

Sounds like the voice of experience. What have you done? And do you have any recommendations positive or negative on brands? I may just go GM depending on the cost. I'm not too thrilled with the thinner sheet metal. Especially since I don't trash my truck much. If I was hitting the Rubicon on a regular basis I would just go cheap and bring a can of spray paint. But, I tend to do mostly desert running and exploring.

7. JK5

I've done my share of sheet metal work, being a "X" bodyman......

If you were building a POSER, I would recommend using GM sheet metal....Aftermarket will fit your application.
    GM sheet metal is pricey.....unless you can find used....fenders go for $417 at Dealer Wholesale.

The aftermarket parts I use are ALL Guaranteed to fit.....
    They are local for me.......so shipping isn't an issue if I had to take any parts back......The fenders are $36 each......thinckness of steel and fit is never an issue here:
    www.absautosupply.com
    This company is in OHIO..

8. Desert Rat

I figure I'll probably just go aftermarket. I may have to prep them good and seal the insides with POR-15 but the cost of GM is ridiculous. Besides, I will have "custom pinstriping" soon enough anyway.

9. JK5

Get E-Coated parts (That is the same coating GM uses)......
    and just under coat the inside.....
    It will last longer than POR 15.....and it will be Cheaper.. and less Mess.