Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sheet metal brake

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by gauder, Apr 9, 2006.

1. gauder

gauder Banned

Not perfect, but it'll do the job.

edit: The pdf file is too big. What do I have to do to upload it?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not much can be done other than reducing it's size, or hosting it elsewhere and then linking it.

4. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Is it a cornice brake or box and pan brake? I prefer the box an pan myself. Helpfull for making irregular shaped objects. Plus you can change out the radius blocks to get different radius required for different thicknesses of material. Only reason I ask is because there is no picture and I can't help you there computers are not my specialty. But if you ever have any questions about your brake I'd be happy to answer them. I work sheet metal on F-16s here at my base. I really lucked out having this hobby and a fully equipped sheetmetal shop with a machine/ welding shop next door.
    P.S. Always remember: Bend against/across the grain, never with, on a sheet of metal, otherwise your parts will crack out.

5. gauder

gauder Banned

It's just a cornice brake. Hey, maybe you could take some pics of your box and pan you use, or is that a no-no because it's on a military base?

6. littlejimmythatcould

No I'll take some pics or see if I can find some online. It's not a top secret area or anything. Also, make sure that if you're bending anything thicker than .030 that you clean up the edges of you metal where your bend will be. Usually hit it with some 180 grit and then 400 grit or get a pneumatic dotco, they are usually pretty easy to find at harbor frieght and other tool dealers. At tech school we used files and sand paper to learn the basics, but now that I'm on station... I would have killed for a dotco at tech school. I'll take some pics of our cornice brake too. Does yours have like 2 -3 gaps on the side of it, on the ends. If it does you might be able to make drip pans and small boxes. If it doesn't then you will be able to get 3 out of the 4 sides bent and will have to find some other way to bend the 4th side. We're having a lot of field type training this week so please be patient and I'll do my best to get you some pics. But like I said before if you ever have any questions pertaining to sheetmetal forming don't hesitate to give me a holler.

7. littlejimmythatcould

Finally, here are those pics of the brakes we use at work. As you can see the box and pan brake has movable dies on it. Different dies have different radius on them for different thicknesses of metal. You can use a box and pan like a cornice brake if you have enough of the same dies. Also, note the pic of the cornice brake (the greenish blue one), that gap on the end can be used to make boxes with, but you can only bend 3 sides of it, then take it to the box and pan brake to get the last side, and you're limited to about 3 inch tall sides on your box or it will get mangled:doah: Again, if you need any advice on bending things let me know and I'll be happy to help. Again, sorry it took so long to get the pics, I've been really busy with training and stuff lately.
    P.S. the box and pan is what I used to make my hood scoop. Just thought I'd throw that in there....

4-18 007.jpg

4-18 008.jpg

4-18 009.jpg