Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sheet metal to do floor replacement, what size

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 22, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

What gauge sheet metal should I use to replace the floor areas above the body mounts? The mounts are not in bad shape, I'm thinking of buying the slip overs and then welding in the floor pieces. I also need to replace the rear tailgate area, is there a corrigated sheet metal I can get to replace the back section without buying the 2-$75 panels from LMC or other places? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I basically am wanting to buy a couple sheets of metal to cut and fit to what I need /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    While I'm doing the mounts I would like to do the poly bushings and some lift pucks as cash allows!

What did you use, good/bad, ideas?
    I have rust int he floor panels so I may try the plexiglass peep-holes in the floor boards that where descussed a while back /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i bought a sheet of 16guage for mine. make sure you put a rust preventer on it or some primer of some sort that plain sheet rusts very fast

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just did this to my son's new K5 project. 16 guage for the floors, and cut an extra piece (like factory) to go over the mounts. On the back, we cut out the flat metal cross piece which has the rear body mount built in. If you cut about 1/2" behind the forward edge of the rear "C" chanel (the flat metal piece) then it will come out and leave the floor (you'll miss the spot welds). On my son's, the only damage to the corrugated floor was at the very end and this got rid of it. I replaced it with a 2"x3"x3/16 square tube all the way across, extending under both bed sides (so I can tie in the bumper ends). To replace the mounts, I welded the 2 flat pieces of steel from the old piece to the bottom of the new piece. Then, for a spacer (replacing the stock sheet metal spacer) I used 2" lengths of 1"x0.120 tube with 3/8" spacers to locate them correctly.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont know if you're doing the fronts too or not, but emmetology101 (mike) is selling 2 new front pans for $20 each...

I've never had to deal with rust till now and i'm just as much of a novice as you...

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

1/8th inch boiler plate and make all the floors flat, just save the tranny hump. thats what i am going to do if i have to do mine ever again

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

where do ya'll get all this plating and sheet metal from, i haven't found any sources!

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    where do ya'll get all this plating and sheet metal from, i haven't found any sources!

[/ QUOTE ] Old bent chevy hood thats where.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif