Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sheet metal...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thefarside, Aug 14, 2003.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

What would be a good guage for making cab corners?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We sold 20 and 24 gauge sheet metal panels when I worked in an autobody supply/parts store--but why make them??.I see you are in CT,there is a place called Autobody Specialties in Middletown (I'm pretty sure,they advertise in hemmings motor news,and may be online)that sells body panels--I have seen them at Stafford Springs Raceway's swap meet,and the quality is a lot better than the tiwan crap /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifthat is flooding the aftermarket,theirs may be imported also,(not sure)but the rocker panels I bought there were twice as heavy as the cheapo ones we used to sell,and they were 10 bucks cheaper too!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifThey now have the tailpans for the K5's and rear floors also and about every other panel that rusts on gm trucks,and musclecars too,they have a lot of panels no one else has -I'd check them out first!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    We sold 20 and 24 gauge sheet metal panels when I worked in an autobody supply/parts store--but why make them??.I see you are in CT,there is a place called Autobody Specialties in Middletown (I'm pretty sure,they advertise in hemmings motor news,and may be online)that sells body panels--I have seen them at Stafford Springs Raceway's swap meet,and the quality is a lot better than the tiwan crap /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifthat is flooding the aftermarket,theirs may be imported also,(not sure)but the rocker panels I bought there were twice as heavy as the cheapo ones we used to sell,and they were 10 bucks cheaper too!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifThey now have the tailpans for the K5's and rear floors also and about every other panel that rusts on gm trucks,and musclecars too,they have a lot of panels no one else has -I'd check them out first!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TWO questions:

Do these guys have a website?

Do they sell 1st Gen Sheetmetal?

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

5. diesel4me

Yup,thats the place! I thought it was Middleton,but is Middlefield CT! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.I have seen them set up at the racetrack swap meet for many years,but I have only bought stuff at the shows,dont know how they are to deal with on shipping,etc. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif,but I was happy to see they had good stuff and reasonable prices.Looks like you may have to buy a catolouge though,but they do have quite a selection of panels. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    We sold 20 and 24 gauge sheet metal panels when I worked in an autobody supply/parts store--but why make them??. <font color="red"> Because I can make them better/stronger </font>
    I see you are in CT,there is a place called Autobody Specialties in Middletown (I'm pretty sure,they advertise in hemmings motor news,and may be online)that sells body panels--I have seen them at Stafford Springs Raceway's swap meet,and the quality is a lot better than the tiwan crap /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifthat is flooding the aftermarket,theirs may be imported also,(not sure)but the rocker panels I bought there were twice as heavy as the cheapo ones we used to sell,and they were 10 bucks cheaper too!.
    <font color="red"> Yes, I am famillier with them, I bought the quarters off of ABS on my old truck. The parts they make are ok, I thought they where a bit thin for my taste. Of corse this is coming from some one that made his own rear deck out of 3/16 inch plate steel.</font>

They now have the tailpans for the K5's and rear floors also and about every other panel that rusts on gm trucks,and musclecars too,they have a lot of panels no one else has -I'd check them out first!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    <font color="red">I have, and I only buy what I cannot make which so far is very little. I will most likely buy the tail pan assembly but I will be tubing it off and sealing it up. I do not want to make these repairs again.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Just curious, if ya know so much about sheet metal parts and building things heavy duty, why'd you make this post?

8. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curious, if ya know so much about sheet metal parts and building things heavy duty, why'd you make this post?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not in front of my truck at this time so it makes it rather hard to put a sheet metal gauge on the remaining floor boards and I would like to buy a sheet on my way home from work. As I am sure you know that if I get too thick a gauge I will burn though trying to weld it to the remaining floor boards; to thin and I mine a well buy a cheap ass replacement panel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. diesel4me

Sorry,I thought you were restoring a stock truck and looking for ready made panels!.Souds like youre like me--stock thickness==beer cans! I like a floor panel that doesnt buckle and flex under your feet,I use 16 gauge galvanized sheet metal,overkill and hard to bend,but once its in it will outlive you,and it makes the truck ride like new when the cab doesnt leave the frame every time you hit a speedbump!.They should make the diamond plate panels like the ones you can get for a CJ jeep for K5's and GM trucks too--the way people drive here lately,I'd like to buy a used armored car and make it a 4X4!! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Dam yuppies in their humvees and suv's are more interested in yakking on the cellphone than driving /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI think I'm gonna at leat make some bumpers out of 6 inch channel iron and some nerf bars for them to bounce off of--tired of getting "bullied" on the roads around here!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry,I thought you were restoring a stock truck and looking for ready made panels!.Souds like youre like me--stock thickness==beer cans! I like a floor panel that doesnt buckle and flex under your feet,I use 16 gauge galvanized sheet metal,overkill and hard to bend,but once its in it will outlive you,and it makes the truck ride like new when the cab doesnt leave the frame every time you hit a speedbump!.They should make the diamond plate panels like the ones you can get for a CJ jeep for K5's and GM trucks too--the way people drive here lately,I'd like to buy a used armored car and make it a 4X4!! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Dam yuppies in their humvees and suv's are more interested in yakking on the cellphone than driving /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI think I'm gonna at leat make some bumpers out of 6 inch channel iron and some nerf bars for them to bounce off of--tired of getting "bullied" on the roads around here!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    No prob, I am repairing my truck more than restoreing it. I am making every effort to make sure the cancer never comes.. I was going to use diamond plate but for a full shet it is extreamly expensive! Yes stock sheet metal is just far too thin! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I am going to enjoy the day my truck towers over many other peoples yuppie SUV's and I have increased my curb weight by a ton or so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then maybe I can get come respect on the roads!

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I'm gonna at leat make some bumpers out of 6 inch channel iron and some nerf bars for them to bounce off of

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually my plan but I'm thinking about 2 pieces of 4" channel welded in the middle and tapered up at the ends much like the 4x4 iron bumpers. With wraparound armor front and back and sliders. The thing will basically be undamagable by the normal street driven vehicle.