Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shelves

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 9, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I told my mom I would make some shelves downstairs in the laundry room for old records, photo albums, games, etc. So we dont have to keep them in boxes.

The shelves dont have to be anything fancy-but I don't want them to be an eyesore.

I was thinking using those "L" shelving brackets and a few sheets of 16" wide wood screwed to it. How thick should it be? I don't exactly want to use plywood for it because it has the unfinished edge. I'm sure there must be some kind of wood that has the top, bottom, and sides "finished" so it looks neat and tidy.

suggestions?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if your going to use the home depot or something simmaler selveing then use lots of bracits, as the wood is just mdf, and not very strong, if you put a brackit on each stud (16") it will do fine.

the selveing materaly comes in 12" and 16" wide black or white, with one face rounded and looks ok i use it its all right.

plywood would not sagg as much, you could cut it sand it and give it a coat of paint and it would be just as good.

I made a reall cool set of shelve but they were expencive, i got 4 leanghs of 5/8' threaded rod, and drilled a hole in each corner or the sheves, the put a washer and nut on each side and bolted the whole thing togeather.

it take a long time to threade a nut 8 feet let me tell you!!!!! looks cool but cost like 50 bucks in nuts and washers !!!

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What he said, plus the coated metal shelving is strong and looks nice.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

worth making??

I cheated and made shelves from an old aluminum ladder I found at the dump that was unsafe to use as a ladder anymore-(looked like somone ran it over 3/4 of the way up! :haha: )..I cut 2 8' sections out of it and bolted on 1x12 boards with 2x2's screwed underneath to stiffen them up so the would not sag,about 6 feet apart..I put them over the washer and dryer,worked good for storing heavy laundry detergent bottles and other laundry room stuff..

You can make wooden shelves easily the same way--just screw some 2x4's in a ladder shape and screw the wood shelves to them..a plywood back will stiffen it up and keep it from "racking"..or use triangular gussets on each corner..

You can buy decent metal shelving so cheap now its hardly worth your time making them...the ready made wooden ones are pretty wimpy,MDF wont hold up long under heavy loads or if it gets wet at all...

I bought a few pallet racks fot storage in my shop that were like new for 15 bucks each at a yard sale at a factory that was sold,and they were practically giving everything like desks,chairs,and shelves away for pennies on the dollar..If you go looking for new metal shelves,check them out carefully--some are so thin and cheap I buckled them just trying to screw them together!... :doah: ..the ten dollar ones at discount stores are not worth a dime... :mad: :crazy:

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll probably checkout homehardware to see what they have for materials then go from there. I dont know if I want ends on the shelves or just keep them open.

Descicions. Thanks for the help.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Found this shelving wood at homehardware. 16"x96" or something like that. Then probably have it with L brackets or something.

Should the shelving have ends, or can it just be shelves with no ends? (if that makes sense)

thanks