Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

She's a COLD one

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Slayer, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    She\'s a COLD one

I just had my truck running great, new motor broken in, and everything was fine. Then winter reared it's ugly head and now she is so COLD (how cold is she????) that morning startups have become a 15 minute ritual.
    I'm running a Holley 750, manual choke (yeah I don't trust anything computerized or automatic) and fast idle has completely disappeared. It coughs, sputters and takes 10 minutes before it steadies. It's almost like I've got that terrible ProJection unit back on (some poor guy up in Minnesota got stuck with that nightmare). For some reason, warmup is MANDATORY before the motor settles in. If I try and drive it anyway, it stalls out. Any suggestions? And NO, don't tell me to go to FI, I'd rather just drive my winter beater instead until the warmer weather comes back.
    Hope that you all had a GREAT Turkey Day. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Re: She\'s a COLD one

I've got an edelbrock and it runs great cold or warm.

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

3. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

This may not apply -- But I was helping a friend put a built 350 in his old corvette and we had very similar problems, even in warm weather, until we got the carb really well dialled in. I think I recall the two things that took the most adjustment (most out of whack outta the box) were the idle mixture (adjustd with a vacuum gage) and the floats (weep holes). After we got those fixed up the beast started as soon as the key was turned, hot or cold, and ran perfectly.

4. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

What temp thermostat are you running?

John

5. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Running a 180 thermostat. This is the 1st winter for this setup, and it ran GREAT for almost 3 months prior to the sub-zero temps.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 185 (tbi setup) and have had cold weather problems also. I don't know if it's going to cure my problem, but I'll be going back to a 195 before it gets too cold here.

John

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you have a choke problem or maybe a vaccum leak somewhere... I had both so I can relate to the dying game. It took me forever to fire up. Sucked trying to back out and dying... then going again, dying two houses down and following this pattern until it was warm enough to quit it....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, you have a choke problem.

I'm going thru the same thing with my Edelbrock #1904 carb even though its the electric choke carb. [​IMG] Damn thing gives me the fits when its cold out! [​IMG] This carb is also sooooo touchy, it floods out easily too. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The choke is what makes the carb feed the engine correctly when it is cold. If it runs bad when only when it's cold, that's the place to look. It may just need an adjustment. I had a really rough cold idle for a while because the choke was closing too far. Imagine my happiness when all I did was bend a rod a little bit and then it ran great.

Oh yeah, I can't go away without a jab: the correct carb for a 4x4 is a Quadrajet. Holley's are for cars. [​IMG]

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

10. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]Thanx Guys, I appreciate the replies! I adjusted the choke linkage and damn if that didn't make the engine run better. Too bad that it HAD to wait until it was 10 frickin degrees outside before I had to be fiddling with the carb. My truck is once again GREAT, and let the winter beater sit in the snow and chill. Thx again!!! [​IMG]

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

so its fixed?? its definately the choke.. and you should really run an electric choke on there. once you get it dialed in you will never turn back.. even the divorced automatic choke on my quadrajet works xlnt.

as for the manual choke you should pump the accelerator once, close the choke fully, and crank the engine.. the second it starts the choke should be opened up slightly..

ugh as for the engine dying when you're trying to back up, thats just unacceptable! it typically gets to low 30s, real high 20's for the most part during the winter here in southern california.. and on a bone stock rock engine with an iron intake, exhaust manifolds, etc, that puppy will start up right away and go to fast idle and warm up quick... i know thats not very cold compared to some of you other guys but its still cold :)

oh well
    mike