Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

She's runnin kinda crappy, she is.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hpfire7227, Aug 17, 2000.

1. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

She\'s runnin kinda crappy, she is.

For some reason, in the past few weeks, I've been experiencing some warm and cold start problems and generally what seems to me to be an overall loss of power. I just did a tune up about 5 or 6 months ago, an all inclusive tune up that is. I've been reading these recent posts and now I'm paranoid about having a bad cat. It runs great 98% of the time, but when I try to go from 45-65 it's like I have a 2.8L under the hood. Granted I have 32's and 2.73 gears, but it always performed better than this. Is it my cat or what? Oh, and another thing...when I do that 45-65 thing, weather I floor it or not, it won't kick down. Other times it will. It's an intermittent thing. Any ideas there?

10 BOLTS O' FUN

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: She\'s runnin kinda crappy, she is.

OK, I did a little quick math here,[​IMG] at 45 mph in drive (I'll assume you are in drive not overdrive) your engine is turning at 1362 Rpm. If it is not kicking down to accelerate that would explain why it feels so gutless. It would seem to me that there might be a problem with your tranny not your catalytic convertor.
    Is your tranny electronically controlled or is there a kickdown cable? My old 89 S-10 Blazer [​IMG] had something called a TV cable (not HBO [​IMG]) that had an adjustment procedure, it seemed pretty straight forward to do but damned if I can remember how it went (some help huh? [​IMG]).
    I'm just wondering if the cable were to start to fray if this could cause your tranny not to downshift properly sometimes?
    Good luck [​IMG]

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Lucky you with them gasoline engines... My 32"BFG's also gives my 6,2 the wrong RPM for shifting when I "feel" like it should.
    So I am shifting down to D a litle before climbing or passing.
    If sometimes I'm allready in D and forgot,, I will slap it in 2 and look like a stunt pilot at a airport show, laying 2 black diesel-smoke lines in the sky[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

4. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

That was a good one Espen!

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Do you have it in D or OD? If its in OD thats why. Put in in D unless you are going 70+ on the highway

90K5

6. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

Always in D, I think the last time I used OD was when I drove it home the first time. That TV cable may be a place to start, but even with the downshifting problems aside, it still is running a bit off. Would the timing have anything to do with it? I know it's off by about 8 degrees, but it has always run perfectly.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

7. tRustyK5

I thought the FI 350's ran the timing at 0 degrees BTDC? You might want to set it to factory specs and see if there is a difference.

[​IMG]

8. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

He's talkin' "warm and cold start" problems. Probably not gearing or tranny concerns. If it "runs great 98% of the time", it is intermittant, again maybe not optimum gearing, but not the cause of a come and go problem. It sounds like the problems started since the tune up. Lets try to focus on what changed. Also,hpfire7227, what are the starting problems? Slow start? Won't start at all? Cranks slow? How does it act between 45 & 65? Sluggish? On and off?

I'm not trying to p@$$ anyone off, but we should try to tell our problem as specific as we can. When we answer a question, we need to focus on the problem.

Lets see if we can solve it.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

9. tRustyK5

Well he said (if you read the post) when he has the problem between 45-65 it will not kick down wether he floors it or not This would be a tranny problem as it should kick down if he floors it at 45 MPH

[​IMG]

10. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I read the post. The sentence following the one that you boldly highlighted says "Other times it will." I agree that the kickdown problem could be tranny related. If you felt that I stepped on you, I apologize. That was not my intent.
    Several symptoms are mentioned. Do you feel that the starting problems are unrelated to the lack of power and kickdown? Could be a coincidence, or we might need to look for a related system that is tying several problems together.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

11. tRustyK5

No offence taken dude![​IMG] It sounds like there may be more than one thing going on though. My point with the sluggishness is that at 45Mph the motor is lugging so bad, so if it does'nt kick down it won't accelerate. I agree it is hard to diagnose the starting problem without a better description. In a subsequent post he stated the timing was about 8 degrees ahead of where it should be, and I think this might contribute to the problem as the computer would be altering fuel and timing curves to compensate for the incorrect timing. If it is starting hard there may also be a fouled or dirty injector. Again the reality is that all we can do is try to make educated (we hope[​IMG]) guesses that might point him in the right direction.
    Just my 2 cents (well 8 cents on this one[​IMG])

[​IMG]