Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shhhh! I just pulled the plug on my converter and dumped all the beads..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Nov 28, 2002.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

91 K-5. Never messed with a converter like that. I helped a buddy on a late 80's Trans Am one time. It had the ceramic stuff in it and we beat it out with rebar and a hammer and it ran great. Apparently it was plugged up. This time, I just pulled the plug and all these little beads came out. Sure sounds better. Hope it'll help performance too.

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

DON'T HAMMER THEM OUT.
    I found a better way
    cut a pry bar or long rod with a flat end on it(long screwdriver)
    and mount it in a drill
    got everything out in under 5 min
    (wasn't my car or truck so don't ask)

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

huh what am i missing? beads in a torque converter? and gettin rid of them?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty sure they mean catalitic converter or at least i hope that whats they mean /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

okay there are beads in there? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yep, beads! That's the type of converter we have. They SUCK for exhaust flow...I gutted out a honeycomb one on my S-10 blazer with a huge Auger bit and a crowbar with a sledge.

7. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

If its in an older vehicle with O2 sensors before the CAT its OK. If its a newer vehicle with 02 sensors after the CAT it'll mess with the computer functions. In this forum though with GMs only going up to 91 you'll have no problems. In otherwords don't do this to your wife's 99 Tahoe.
    If you live in CA with smog restrictions and you have over 100,000 (50,000 on older rigs like ours) on your vehicle take the restrictive GM converter off and install a freeflow converter. Downside to this alot of times is every 2 years you'll be replacing your converter to pass the smog check. Your question will have to be "Is it worth the $200 every 2 years?"

8. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

NEW York where I live is visual only no sniffer test

9. cashew

cashew Registered Member

Another thing that some folks don't know about California is the two year smog rule is only in effect for some counties. So, you smog it when you get it, then if you get it registered in one of the non smog counties (Mendocino is one of them) you won't ever have to smog it again until you sell it. And if it's old enough, in two years you won't have to smog it even then. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

one of the extremely few good things about living in central IL is no visuals or sniffer tests of any kind at all, only inspection on 1 ton and heavier /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i poulled the plug on a converter in a 79 caprice one, platinum beads when everywhere, falling out on the road as was driving and everything, hehe. eventually i stuck in a piece of straght pipe in plac eof it, made a neat rumble exhaust sound /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif getting ready to scrap converter and y pipe and 305 smogger ESC engine out of the 81 C-10 in place of a 70's 350 4 bolt and full headers and 2 1/4" pipes, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

emmissions are worthless to keep unless is 100% complete and in good shape like on the 83 caprice LG4 with AIR system

good luck

11. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

dammit, i live by napervillie illinois. emmissions suck i wish we only did visual, stupid tred mill, at least i think they do tred mills on trucks, not sure, id love if they did just a sniffer test /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. stupid god damn emmissions, trucks shouldnt have emmissions /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif