Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shift duration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcman7202, Apr 27, 2006.

1. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

anyone have any links to studies done for the longevity of a tranny for differnet shift durations? specifically the 4l60e. my good friend says that the stock shift is the best for longevity, however, i beg to disagree, but since he works for a gm dealer, i know less than him. i want to do the larger servos and pcm tune. he says it all will break sooner. but i am on my 3rd tranny with 45k. any links helps.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

a quick shift means less slippage between the friction plates of the clutch packs which means they last longer, a slow soft shift has more friction whihc leads to shorter life. Not all GM trannys of the same type shift the same way the valve bodies vary depending on the type of shift the tranny has. Having a 4l60e you can buy a plug in modual that lets you change the level of firmness and switch it back at a flip of a switch

3. gmcman7202

yes i agree with what you have said, however, my friend says longer shifts are better, less poinding on the tranny, and the more heat from the longer shift is not a problem.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Think about it like this. If your tranny is shifting stock and not working for you, then you need to change it.

5. gmcman7202

i am not the one that says it needs to stay stock, but see my old man listens to our friend more than me caus his job is a mechanic, and if it was up to me, i would have new servos in there, new tune, new cam, and new torque converter, all suited to more power, since i cant trade in the truck, way to much money loss, even tough i own it, but i cant afford a new one, come on 45k for a crew long box with the duramax, my dream truck, but i like my little z71. i could do what i wanted and tell everyone to stick it, but i dont like listeng to my old man all the time complaining that stock is the best way, once you change stuff, thats when issues arrouse. i just need some test proof that i am right, caus i would never hear the end of it, even if it doesnt break

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the larger servos were used in the stock vettes, so it is not a aftermarket part.

7. gmcman7202

i am aware of that.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i say its time to grow a set of balls, and let your old man realize that you're 20 freakin years old, its time you start making decisions for yourself.

unless his name is on the title as more than just a cosigner.

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It sounds like he won't believe anything you say (even if you just repeat what a pro told you), and that it will have to be related to him directly by a professional mechanic instead.

10. gmcman7202

i have more balls than you. this isnt about balls. i paid for the truck, his name is on the title, as they wanted like $3200 a year for insurance if my name was on the title, thus his name is on it. i can do what i want to it, but i will never hear the end of it, which is why i am looking for explaniations for what i am doing.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Hernce the reason why he is saying grow a set. put the larger servos in. they were put in a vette for a reason. my dad complains all the time about my project. so wht do i let him do? Thats right, complain. In one ear and out the other. Short shift = less wear & heat, which = more life, plain and simple. Upgrade the tranny for your needs or dont complain when you have to fix it again