Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shift indicator, need help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_fujisawa, Feb 8, 2004.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i just got a shift indicator and i can't figure out where to mount the clip that is on the end of the wire. do i need to disassemble the steering column to attach it to something inside? am i missing some part? please help.
    sean /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[​IMG]

2. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

there is a lip that runs all the way around the column. wrap that clip around and down and slide it on the lip - somewhere around the 4 o'clock position. there should be no slack in the small wire. as you pull down on the gear selector to run through the gears, the column rotates clockwise and pulls the clip with it. as the clips gets pulled down and away the orange pointer moves to the right...

3. mr_fujisawa

i did that and it went alright from P -> R -> OD -> D and then it wouldn't move to 2 or 1.
    i think i was doing something wrong. it seemed to bind up as it got to the drive position.

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i think that there was a small metal guide that the wire routed over - also ensure that you have the right spring. if you cannot get it worked out, shoot me a pm and i will go snap a pic after work on monday to show how mine is routed...

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] The metal tab goes where green arrow is, red shows the path the metal wire should go. Hope that helps.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I looks like to me that part of the POS green plastic is missing. Mine broke, now I just have to shift by feel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yep, your missin this piece...

[​IMG]

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

mine to..its just kind of nice to have working but dont really need it ur nothin.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

When mine broke, I replaced the plastic piece the cable rolls on with a screw and a bushing. I just screwed it right into the dash -- works great.

10. mr_fujisawa

[ QUOTE ]
    When mine broke, I replaced the plastic piece the cable rolls on with a screw and a bushing. I just screwed it right into the dash -- works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah you are a genius! i will have to copy that idea! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. mr_fujisawa

ok, so i did my own little bit of rigging today with a screw eye and broke my speedo in the process [darn] that sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

the screw eye from afar:
    [​IMG]

the screw eye close up
    [​IMG]

broken speedo. can i get a new needle on this thing somehow, or do i need to replace the whole unit?
    [​IMG]

12. wk96

wk96 Registered Member

does anyone have the images relating to this? I'm thinking the guide broke off on mine, but I'm not positive where the best place to put a screw would be to serve as a guide. images aren't loading, I'm assuming because they're dated.